Locums/Moonlighting/Telehealth during PICU fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stone Cold

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was recently talking to a couple of friends who are pursuing fellowship (PICU and PCards to be specific) and mentioned they've started taking some locums gigs at urgent care clinics during their off days while the other took up telehealth, both in their respective states. Has anyone had similar experience since I'm interested to pursue something on similar lines, not particularly to pay off debt but I currently live very close to my hospital which is in a very expensive area in one of the most expensive cities in the US and such side gigs might help me in terms of affordability.

Will the time spent towards telehealth/locums count towards the 80hr work week limit and how does the malpractice insurance work in this regard? Also, does anyone know of legit sources where I can look for such gigs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Our GME allowed moonlighting 'internally' (meaning, within the healthcare system, which is a large Children's Hospital, so plenty of opportunities) if you were in good standing with your fellowship, passed your gen peds boards, and had the approval of your PD. We have urgent cares within our system, so that's where most people ended up moonlighting, but I think there were other opportunities as well.

Yes, your moonlighting hours count towards your 80 hour/week limit. Malpractice is either self-purchased or done through the entity hiring you for the moonlighting practice--it is separate from any malpractice you have as a part of fellowship UNLESS you are truly doing 'internal' moonlighting where your moonlighting duties are equivalent to your fellowship duties (for instance, in residency, we could 'moonlight' by taking extra shifts in the NICU--we would still function as a resident, but got additional pay for doing the shifts).

I'd start by asking around your hospital's med staff if you have urgent cares or EDs affiliated with the hospital you're doing fellowship at. If not, you're more than welcome to sign up for locums opportunities, though they often want more of a 'fill in for a week or cover while someone is out on maternity leave' type person rather than someone doing occasional shifts at a local place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My fellowship offer letter says I shouldn't cross the 80hr limit and all moonlighting gigs should have the approval of PD. I'm assuming something like telehealth need not be reported but I'm confused if I can get by without reporting an external moonlighting gig (not within my hospital system)

What's the general norm when attendings pursue locums or moonlighting? Do they buy their own insurance which I assume is pretty darn expensive!!
Yes, technically you should have the PDs approval. Technically…

I can’t comment on the latter as I haven’t done locums… I’ve only done moonlighting but it was internal. Maybe someone else can comment… but a general rule is… if it’s not in writing, it doesn’t exist.

Reactions: 1 user
My fellowship offer letter says I shouldn't cross the 80hr limit and all moonlighting gigs should have the approval of PD. I'm assuming something like telehealth need not be reported but I'm confused if I can get by without reporting an external moonlighting gig (not within my hospital system)

What's the general norm when attendings pursue locums or moonlighting? Do they buy their own insurance which I assume is pretty darn expensive!!
I mean, you certainly can do moonlighting without approval or by crossing the 80 hour limit but if you get caught, that could mean sanctions for you by your fellowship program.

Reactions: 1 user