Logging patients during FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobbbyyyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow comrades,

I am a PGY-1 FM resident. My program is unfortunately heavy on administrative tasks/scutwork/extra-clinical projects.

One such task that takes up a considerable amount of time is logging our patients into an online patient tracking system.

We have to enter in the patients name, MRN number, DOB, their age range, date of service, the clinical setting, attending name, and ICD10 codes for every single patient we see, every single time. Whether it be outpatient continuity clinic, non continuity clinic, inpatient medicine, NF, ICU, pediatrics, OB, or electives.

This takes up a LOT of time. From my understanding, this is not the norm when it comes to FM programs.

Can someone please shed some light into this specific issue? How do other programs track their patients? Is it inbuilt into their EMR system? Do they hire people to log residents patients? How exactly does it work? I can't imagine FM residents in other programs going through as much hassle as we do.

Members don't see this ad.

We logged procedures, but not every patient. That's insane. It should be easy enough for them to run a report for the patients you see in clinic.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello my fellow comrades,

I am a PGY-1 FM resident. My program is unfortunately heavy on administrative tasks/scutwork/extra-clinical projects.

One such task that takes up a considerable amount of time is logging our patients into an online patient tracking system.

We have to enter in the patients name, MRN number, DOB, their age range, date of service, the clinical setting, attending name, and ICD10 codes for every single patient we see, every single time. Whether it be outpatient continuity clinic, non continuity clinic, inpatient medicine, NF, ICU, pediatrics, OB, or electives.

This takes up a LOT of time. From my understanding, this is not the norm when it comes to FM programs.

Can someone please shed some light into this specific issue? How do other programs track their patients? Is it inbuilt into their EMR system? Do they hire people to log residents patients? How exactly does it work? I can't imagine FM residents in other programs going through as much hassle as we do.

This is a newer thing(2014 and above) that now residents have to log inpatients, peds, etc. in addition to procedures. Our program uses NI as the final count and the PD pulls up the log list to check for ACGME requirements. In my program, we did not hire someone to log patients. Usually, the residents can ask the office manager to run a report on a specific population(ED numbers, clinic numbers). Unfortunately, it is cumbersome. Usually the standard is for residents to log for at least 5-10 minutes so it doesn't pile up. Sadly there were 3rd years that had to spend their last day spending over several hours logging patients frantically. Our program did not require ICD10 codes, but had to put all of the above listed. If you met a requirement you did not have to log beyond that.

Bad enough that they take advantage of us every other way, now they’re having you do a program coordinators job. Sorry you have to deal with this. This is also not a newer thing in residency as a lot of residencies have actual personnel that take care of resident compliance do it.

Yeah we had to log ICU patients, deliveries and I think something else. Something about peds, maybe peds ED? It was not every single patient but whatever the bare minimum acgme requirement is. Once we logged the minimum we stopped.

And yes to logging procedures.
For continuity patients, heck no we didn’t have to log those. That’s what the emr is for. Once we got to our 3rd year they’d keep us up to date if we needed any extra sessions to meet the 1650 rule (I cut it a little close because I did a few away rotations).

Reactions: 1 user
Our program kept track for us, we just checked in periodically to see where we stood. I didn’t have to log anything at all.

I hit 1650 clinic encounters pretty early in 3rd year. We all hit the adult and peds inpatient and the OB requirements without even trying.

Last edited:
We had to log amount of pediatric inpatients. Pediatric er. ICU encounters. All Procedures. All ob longitudinal experiences and then program coordinator and director dealt with the rest. The clinic encounters they had reports they would generate

ICD10 codes for all of continuity clinic patients you see???? That's obscene and completely useless. You should not be spending time doing that in residency.

What EMR do you use in your continuity clinic? As the other posts have stated- at the very least, you should not need to manually log your clinic patients

Wow. Good to know - another thing to be asking about whilst on the interview trail! I will straight up DNR a program if they require this insanity

Reactions: 1 users