LOI - Apologies, can we do it one more time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VoiceofReason

all i care about is money
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies but the search isn't helping me locate the info i need about letters of intent.

I'm curious about two things. Firstly, what is the general consensus on the effectiveness of these letters? How are they viewed by admissions committee; do they make you look desperate (which I am, lol) or sincere, etc. And second, I would really appreciate any pointers such as format and content, little tricks or whatever, that anybody knows.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard it helps if you put a crisp $20 in with your LOI, and say "there's more where that came from".

My apologies but the search isn't helping me locate the info i need about letters of intent.

I'm curious about two things. Firstly, what is the general consensus on the effectiveness of these letters? How are they viewed by admissions committee; do they make you look desperate (which I am, lol) or sincere, etc. And second, I would really appreciate any pointers such as format and content, little tricks or whatever, that anybody knows.

thanks.

thanks.

I sent a Letter of Intent to Harvard but eventually decided to go to a non-Canadian medical school even after they accepted me. I sent Harvard a polite letter which more or less rescinded my original letter of intent.

It was polite but if you read between the lines it came across as something like, "I pwned you like my biach."

1) effectiveness depends on the school
2) is there anyway to actually devise if LOIs help? NO.
Reasoning:
- some get in without LOIs -> I am awesome YAY!
- some get in with LOIs -> hmm... so it must've been the LOI YAY!
- Some don't get in with LOIs -> hmm... LOIS dont work im going to tell people they suck balls

HEARSAY. Its all HEARSAY!