LOI Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaky Hands

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First time poster here. Wish I had embraced this forum earlier... In any case, I have a question regarding Letters of Intent.

So I've been mulling over submitting a LOI to a school which waitlisted me. For a variety of reasons I have not sent one in, though the school notified me about 3 weeks ago. Is it too late to send one? I know late is better than never but given that others have likely already sent letters in I'm not sure if I stand a chance. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or better, any experience, with late LOI.

Also, if you are waitlisted at a school and accept another on May 15th, can you still trade in your acceptance for a WL acceptance at a later date? Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Go ahead and send the Letter of Intent. It can't hurt you, even though it's later than you'd like.

After May 15, you can only hold one acceptance, but as many wait-list spots as you are given. If you receive another acceptance from a school where you were wait-listed, you can take it and drop the previously held acceptance (after confirming receipt of the required deposit and your letter of intention to matriculate at the second school). But you can't get back the deposit you paid the first school after May 15.

But you can't get back the deposit you paid the first school after May 15.

And be glad that it's a deposit from an allopathic school and not an osteopathic one. Several of my friends had to pay several thousand $ to hold a single spot (something like $1500-2000 per school) at osteopathic schools, and don't get it back no matter when they withdraw.