LOI Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoisthedrizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my interviewers mentioned he'd like to see a little more shadowing experience as well as a physician LOR. I have the MD LOR coming in a few weeks, and I should be done with my shadowing soon. I want to send an LOI with these updates to the schools I've been waitlisted at. Should I send this before or after the waitlists are formed?

I'm leaning towards sending it before so it might bump me up to the top third or high priority status when the list is formed.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

1. definitely send it pre-decision
2. you need to aim for an outright acceptance...you seem to be resigned to the fact that you'll end up on the waitlist
3. it is a REALLY bad sign when your interviewer starts criticizing your credentials to your face during the interview

I'm resigned to the fact I'm on the waitlist b/c most of these schools don't give out acceptances to people before they form the waitlist on the 15th.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

1. definitely send it pre-decision
2. you need to aim for an outright acceptance...you seem to be resigned to the fact that you'll end up on the waitlist
3. it is a REALLY bad sign when your interviewer starts criticizing your credentials to your face during the interview

why the negativity? the OP was looking for advice, not your opinion on how their interview went. a comment like that is completely unnecessary.

OP, send anything you can. you want to make yourself stand out to the admissions committee. if that means sending in an LOI, go for it. who knows if it will help, but it would definitely not hurt. good luck.