LOI vs. LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medking

The time will come...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that applicants can send a Letter of Intent after they interview and receive a decision, but when do applicants usually send in a Letter of Interest? Are they usually sent post-interview but "pre-decision"? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, after the interview but pre-decision. They can also be sent if you have been put on post-interview hold or waiting list. For some schools they mean a lot, for others, they don't matter.

how long should either LOI be?

Members don't see this ad :)
how long should either LOI be?

Personally, I think one page single spaced is more than enough for a letter of interest. They have enough to read already.

Personally, I think one page single spaced is more than enough for a letter of interest. They have enough to read already.

Yea bc I wrote one, and it came out to be one page....and one person told me to shorten it.......should I?

Yea bc I wrote one, and it came out to be one page....and one person told me to shorten it.......should I?

If this page is not repetitive and says everything you want to say, don't shorten it. Try to be as personal as you can in this letter.

for those who are wait listed..( i am waitlisted at two schools..) when schools ask you to write to them of your interest about the school, do they mean letter of interest or letter of intent?

for those who are wait listed..( i am waitlisted at two schools..) when schools ask you to write to them of your interest about the school, do they mean letter of interest or letter of intent?

I believe it's letter of interest. These should not be generic and should really be personal why you like the school and why you'd be a good fit.

For completeness, is there any value in sending a pre-interview LOInterest to update the application beyond new LORs? New research/abstracts? or do you just leave them alone and let them decide whether to grant interviews?

For completeness, is there any value in sending a pre-interview LOInterest to update the application beyond new LORs? New research/abstracts? or do you just leave them alone and let them decide whether to grant interviews?

Personally, I think sending more information about you can never hurt. But I'm not on the committee who has to read all this stuff so I dont know. I'd call the school and see what they say.