Loma Linda Interview!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are still waiting and applied by the priority deadline like I did, I have some GREAT news for you guys! I just called today and Brian at LLU SOP told me that he just found out I got an interview. They willl be sending out invitations for their January interviews VERY shortly! These interviews begin on January 3rd--so keep January cleared!! I also asked him why it took a LOT longer for people who made the 10/15 deadline to be notified when people who applied after that deadline last yr found out BEFORE thanksgiving and he said it was because they received more than twice as many applications for the priority deadline. So rest assured and expect good news soon everyone!

Now that I got an interview to LLU, can people who have interviewed--at LLU specifically--provide me with some advice. I've interviewed for pharm schools before so I know the basics (why pharmacy, extracurriculars, etc), but I'm interested in learning more about what LLU asks, their interview process, and what are some things to watch out for at their interview. I know they are a religious school and BerryBart said he didn't get asked any of those, but just in case I'm not so lucky...does anyone know what kinds of religious questiosn they ask? There was only 1 posting in the interview feedback section but for some reason that one post was empty.

Thanks and happy holidays everyone!

[EDIT]: any additional info. about Loma Linda University and their program would be great! anybody go there? I heard their campus is gorgeous so I'm looking forward to visiting it.

Members don't see this ad.

endlesslove said:
For those who are still waiting and applied by the priority deadline like I did, I have some GREAT news for you guys! I just called today and Brian at LLU SOP told me that he just found out I got an interview. They willl be sending out invitations for their January interviews VERY shortly! These interviews begin on January 3rd--so keep January cleared!! I also asked him why it took a LOT longer for people who made the 10/15 deadline to be notified when people who applied after that deadline last yr found out BEFORE thanksgiving and he said it was because they received more than twice as many applications for the priority deadline. So rest assured and expect good news soon everyone!

Now that I got an interview to LLU, can people who have interviewed--at LLU specifically--provide me with some advice. I've interviewed for pharm schools before so I know the basics (why pharmacy, extracurriculars, etc), but I'm interested in learning more about what LLU asks, their interview process, and what are some things to watch out for at their interview. I know they are a religious school and BerryBart said he didn't get asked any of those, but just in case I'm not so lucky...does anyone know what kinds of religious questiosn they ask? There was only 1 posting in the interview feedback section but for some reason that one post was empty.

Thanks and happy holidays everyone!

[EDIT]: any additional info. about Loma Linda University and their program would be great! anybody go there? I heard their campus is gorgeous so I'm looking forward to visiting it.

Congrats! Make us proud! :thumbup:

Congrats. I could tell that you're enthusiastic and care about this interview, and I'm betting that it'll show at the interview itself. Good luck and happy holdays! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda is absolutely gorgeous....a lot different than LA I have to admit though. But it's only 30 min away fr glendale and pasedena and 30 min awy from the moutains so there's stuff to do there. As for the interview itself....believe it when ppl say LL Faculty are REALLY nice and it shows that they care about their students. The interview panal ranges from 3-6 professors/students. They ask the usual questions such as y pharm, courses you've taken, activities etc. They might ask about your family history, favorite healthcare related experience and lessons you've learned fr ur experiences. Nothing too crazy...and Brian was one of my interviewers by the way. I'm sure you're more than prepared so dont' stress and g'luck! =)

endlesslove said:

Nevermind, they inform you of your interview verbally. dunno why he got my new addy, anywho, there's never a written statement for interview...i found this to be a bit weird at some schools, don't ya think? anywho, after i missed my interview (not intentionally, of course), they called me on my cell to make sure I was okay. very nice concerned people :) so expect to get a call, not a letter, from them within the next few weeks.

Did you miss the actual interview or the message they left you regarding your interview date and time?

OoShimmeroO said:
Did you miss the actual interview or the message they left you regarding your interview date and time?

the former because of the lack of the latter, sorry if it sounds confusing, a couple of my previous posts should clarify.

Hey, I just got back from my Loma Linda University interview today and received my acceptance letter (via email first) within 3 hours post the interview! It was a gorgeous campus! For those of you who are curious, they received well over 800 applications this year for 65 spots in the c/o 2009. One of the things I found out during the interview, and was quite impressed with, was that because of their small class size (65 compared to ~200 at other schools!), EACH student gets their OWN faculty advisor. The interviews emphasized that it's not like a central academic counseling center but individual advisors for each student, so I thought that was pretty nifty. Furthermore, despite the program being in a fairly incipient stage, compared to other schools, I was impressed by their rigorous curriculum (~20 units/quarter); students' schedule is Mon-Thurs (Fri is an observance day) from 8A-5P. There are also very polite faculty members, as I mentioned in a previous post. Although I missed my interview on Monday 1/3, they were really nice and rescheduled me for today.

Some things you should be aware of in case they don't tell you this: no written correspondence of your interview (i was mislead over the phone; hence missing the interview), bring a picture (they forgot to tell me; but no worries), no written essay, no questions on religion although it is a religious school (at least for me...), the interview is 45-60 min long by 3-6 faculty members (i don't think there are any students; so don't worry too much ab preparing any questions for students). I didn't take out any special time to prepare for the LLU interview. It's really informal. I was fortunate that the questions I had for the students could also be answered by faculty members. I met with the Dean of the SOP, the head of the Pharmacy dept. over at LL Medical Center, and a professor of compounding (funny how I'm interested in this field...hmm? coincidence?) As someone mentioned in a previous post, come with LOTS of questions! the first thing they asked was "so do you have any questions for us?" thankfully, I came prepared. But they don't do this to intimidate their students. They do so merely because the Dean, a very middle-aged blond woman, wants to make sure that all students, including interviewees, entering their program know that they are going to be attending a school who hasn't gotten full accredidation status. So I guess it's out of courtesy, nothing scary; they just want highly motivated students who are leaders in their community. the Dean will even take 5 minutes out of your interview to explain to you the accredidation process, lol, during which you just nod and smile :) Another cool thing is that I found out during my IV that I got waived out of the 2nd half of general chemistry (it took some convincing back in September).

Wow, congrats! Are you gonna send your deposit? I can't imagine anyone turning down the opportunity to be a USC trojan for Loma Linda (a great school, btw, but come on).

OoShimmeroO,

Was that really necessary?