Long Island University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If no response was received yet, does that mean you were not accepted? I'm getting so worried

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who received an acceptance via email, did you get anything in the mail yet? I still haven't...I only got the email

Waitlisted... Those ppl who hadnt accepted got all waitlisted?

I got accepted!!! I got my packet yesterday, I also got the email but for some reason it went to my junk mail folder so I had no idea. So...now the hard question....Touro or LIU, I am not from NYC so I have no idea what is the best location. I also don't know how to decide what is the best option for me....please give me an idea how to approach this problem. I am open to opinions on what people think of either school.

@coqboricua, Touro will be accrediated next year. Their education is a bit different since they get to work with their D.O's. And they actually have pharmacists make calls to real doctors they hire. You get a say in the program since it's a bit new. You get 2 year of education and 2 years of rotations. It is located in Harlem though. So you have to ask the Touro students more about it. It's 100 seats so there will be less people. So smaller class vs bigger class of 200. They also get to go in rotations overseas while LIU doesnt.

LIU is close by manhattan also. And they have been around for 125 years, and they are accredited. Even if people think brooklyn is shady, I think if you live in the city you just have to be ready for it. Fulton mall is nearby, so are St Joseph, Pratt, and Polytech. They also have a Juniors. And from what I heard from several of the p6 in my hospital the said they "Touro college students are more mature and smart" Are you planning to stay in nyc to work in the future?

@coqboricua, Touro will be accrediated next year. Their education is a bit different since they get to work with their D.O's. And they actually have pharmacists make calls to real doctors they hire. You get a say in the program since it's a bit new. You get 2 year of education and 2 years of rotations. It is located in Harlem though. So you have to ask the Touro students more about it. It's 100 seats so there will be less people. So smaller class vs bigger class of 200. They also get to go in rotations overseas while LIU doesnt.

LIU is close by manhattan also. And they have been around for 125 years, and they are accredited. Even if people think brooklyn is shady, I think if you live in the city you just have to be ready for it. Fulton mall is nearby, so are St Joseph, Pratt, and Polytech. They also have a Juniors. And from what I heard from several of the p6 in my hospital the said they "Touro college students are more mature and smart" Are you planning to stay in nyc to work in the future?

I am not sure where I am going to be living once I graduate...I suppose I will be living in nyc however, I can't see that far down the road. I am always open to new adventures in life. I really thank you for the break down of both school, for some reason I really like both and I can't make up my mind. I have to do some serious questioning to students of both schools to see what they say. I have a big question for any pharmacy student in nyc, due to the amount of work I suppose people will want to spend the least time commuting...I was wondering 1. what should be the max time I should consider in commuting (Note: I will not have a car), 2. what are the best places to study in the city? I was looking into washington heights, bronx, or union city because rent is a little cheaper and because I am really close to dominicans and puertoricans.

washington heights, bronx, or union city are good for touro, it's super close. union city is in jersey though. If you have a car you could live in queens and drive to LIU or something.

REJECTED...:(

looks like I'm off to Hawaii Pharm school! Congrats on everyone who was accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
U mean u got a mail saying u were rejected? Not waitlisted? Btw congrats. At least u have somewhere to go...

U mean u got a mail saying u were rejected? Not waitlisted? Btw congrats. At least u have somewhere to go...

Yup...snail mail and a rejection. Boo. LIU was top choice, but glad I did get into Hawaii.

LIU said if a transfer gives up his/her seat then the other transfers will get the open seat. Waitlist will be done once a seat opens up.

Last edited:
LIU said if a transfer gives up his/her seat then the other transfers will get the open seat. Waitlist will be done once a seat opens up.

i was accepted but gave my seat up..hopefully u guys get in :)

noo touro was my third choice..liu was second..but i got into my first choice so thats why i gave up liu and touro..is LIU your top choice? are u from the ny area? if i lived in ny then liu would be my top choice but since i dont thats probably why lol

noo touro was my third choice..liu was second..but i got into my first choice so thats why i gave up liu and touro..is LIU your top choice? are u from the ny area? if i lived in ny then liu would be my top choice but since i dont thats probably why lol

No, I do not live in NY nor am I from NY. However, it has been my dream to move to the city since I visited the city with my girlfriend a few years ago that is why I decided to apply to both Touro and LIU. Luckily I was accepted to both, however, it also has caused a little stress since I have no idea which school to attend and the deposit for LIU is due soon (within the next few days). I am still trying to decide which will be the best option for me...:)

I just declined my acceptance to LIU... it was a hard decision to make since it was the closest pharmacy school for me to attend, and i will have to go far away from home for more than 4 yrs (maybe will never come back to nyc:eek:)
Good luck everyone!:xf:

Hello, my boyfriend was just accepted to LIU as a transfer (starting in the 3rd year). We are from Philadelphia and we're looking for advice on a place to live. Does anyone know of an apartment that has access to buses or train transportation to the pharm school with a less than 40 minute commute. A one bedroom would be fine & hopefully something that allows pets.

PLEASE help! If anyone has any info my email is [email protected] or ill be checking the forums.

OR if any males are looking for a male roommate non-smoker, really neat and clean + friendly + really smart, let me know! (3rd year pharm students +)

Is there a facebook or another location where current/future students are communicating? Thanks:thumbup:

Do LIU students pay a deposit? The letter didn't say anything about it.

Oh boy. have you checked out the school in LIU and taken a tour?

No not yet, I was planning on doing that once I move to ny in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can make up my mind....I did like Touro I just had a very bad experience on the interview, perhaps this is what's holding me back from choosing that school over LIU. I know I shouldn't base my decision on that however, I know that it is indeed what is making me feel uneasy. I also dislike the fact that it is not fully accredited, although as a candidate status I should have be able to take the naplex and other licensure exams. Again, hopefully I will be able to make my decision once I visit the schools and take a tour. Any suggestions are welcomed, please feel free to let me know how you feel about either LIU or Touro.

Do LIU students pay a deposit? The letter didn't say anything about it.

The deposit is waived for current LIU students. We also won't receive the packet that the transfer students got because they have all of our current grades and information in their system already.

No not yet, I was planning on doing that once I move to ny in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can make up my mind....I did like Touro I just had a very bad experience on the interview, perhaps this is what's holding me back from choosing that school over LIU. I know I shouldn't base my decision on that however, I know that it is indeed what is making me feel uneasy. I also dislike the fact that it is not fully accredited, although as a candidate status I should have be able to take the naplex and other licensure exams. Again, hopefully I will be able to make my decision once I visit the schools and take a tour. Any suggestions are welcomed, please feel free to let me know how you feel about either LIU or Touro.
ahaha, I know what you mean, LIU has lot of nice people XD. Sounds like your making a list of pros for LIU already! I think you are leaning more toward LIU. You should visit the school and decide if you like the tour since they didnt give one.

ahaha, I know what you mean, LIU has lot of nice people XD. Sounds like your making a list of pros for LIU already! I think you are leaning more toward LIU. You should visit the school and decide if you like the tour since they didnt give one.

which pharmacy school are you attending in the fall?

which pharmacy school are you attending in the fall?
Hopefully LIU. it would be cheaper for me and it's 10 min away from where I live... I could also stay in chinatown with my other family which is like right across the brooklyn bridge. Did you get accepted? You should try and schedule a tour as well. A lot of my friends are going to st joseph, pratt, and poly nearby next year... so LIU would be better for me. I got in contract with my interviewer... he was surprised I did not get in.
Im still opened towards UNE and PCOM.

Last edited:

Yes, thats exactly what I am going yo do...I also wanted to ask about the job placements after graduation as well as residency placements stats. I can't find this info on the web and feel that it us very important to know before I make a decision...all I have been able to see is that liu has a low percentage of passing the naplex. I have seen a lot people say that liu has a horrible attrition rate however I can't find any hard evidence, this is something I should ask the school.

It is unfortunate that I didn't ask these question...I was extremely nervous!!!! If there is anybody body out there who has any suggestions on questions I should ask when comparing schools please post them.

lol, I only asked about rotation placements at the interview. And that it was the 125th year of Coca Cola being made too XD. I just got accepted to PCOM, it's has been my number 1 choice since forever. But if LIU accepts me I will probably go there. I think they have good job placements, as for residency I dont know.

It does have a low percentage of pass naplex rates. And my pharmacist who was from LIU told me not to go there since they didnt learn anything. Im still going though >>. It's not that bad... I asked a student, and said only 14 students failed in their p4. But if you asked the pharmacists that worked in LIU, some take more time to come out. Either way you shouldnt be afraid.

Hopefully LIU. it would be cheaper for me and it's 10 min away from where I live... I could also stay in chinatown with my other family which is like right across the brooklyn bridge. Did you get accepted? You should try and schedule a tour as well. A lot of my friends are going to st joseph, pratt, and poly nearby next year... so LIU would be better for me. I got in contract with my interviewer... he was surprised I did not get in.
Im still opened towards UNE and PCOM.

I got waitlisted by liu. that's ok since it wasn't really my top choice and i never bothered with their drug and background test after the interview. I also got into LECOM-ERIE, UNE, UMES AND western new england college of pharmacy. I'll be attending lecom-erie because it has been always been my first choice (cheap, accelerated, friendly people, fully accredited, new GYM and wellness center). I hope you get to LIU in the end because i heard a lot of accepted people are turning down their offer. congrats on getting into PCOM. DID you get pulled off the waiting list from UNE? I feel bad turning down UNE due to the tuition factor. be happy that you got into PCOM and you are on your way of becoming a pharmacist. congrats again:)

Just gotta clarify somethings here.

#1 - I'm not so sure about working with the DO students. They share the building with us, we see them all the time in the gym and cafeteria, but unless they changed something within the last year, I don't remember having classes together or working in a team with the DO students, although its a nice concept, sort of like what Jefferson does with it's Pharmacy and Medical students.

#2 - Pharmacists calling actual doctors? This is just the pharmacy practice lab, not sure if you understood it correctly when you were given the tour. I'm sure all pharmacy schools have this. Basically in the lab the professor give you 2-3 prescriptions as if you were the pharmacist. You have to identify problems on the prescription, why is it prescribed, monitoring parameters, etc from the patient case and then make recommendations. You do make a doctor call, but its basically another professor on the other line who is receiving your recommendation and grading it on if it was correct or not.

#3 - Yep, there are some overseas experiences that count into your rotations requirements. Last month some of the students went to Haiti and did some awesome work there. There is a rotation in Ghana this July. There is a plan in place for a trip to India for rotations in December/January. I'm considering going on the India rotation, but I'm not too much of a fan of the climate. I was hoping for a rotation in a country with a colder climate. The focus is to do these things in places where health care is lacking. I'd hope they get some rotations in Eastern Europe.

I got waitlisted by liu. that's ok since it wasn't really my top choice and i never bothered with their drug and background test after the interview. I also got into LECOM-ERIE, UNE, UMES AND western new england college of pharmacy. I'll be attending lecom-erie because it has been always been my first choice (cheap, accelerated, friendly people, fully accredited, new GYM and wellness center). I hope you get to LIU in the end because i heard a lot of accepted people are turning down their offer. congrats on getting into PCOM. DID you get pulled off the waiting list from UNE? I feel bad turning down UNE due to the tuition factor. be happy that you got into PCOM and you are on your way of becoming a pharmacist. congrats again:)
Nope... I did not get off the une waiting list. I would choose PCOM any day. Plus tuition is like 37,000 a year >>. Snowing all the time doesnt help lol. Btw I checked out Fort lee the other day and went to Mitsuwa. I think pcom would be a better choice for me to learn, but my family wants me in ny. And I think I will choose LIU.However if LIU doesnt choose me, it's not such a big deal XD. All my pharmacists are telling me to go down to pcom anyways.

Also it was funny today since they told me Im going to hate pharmacy, the hospital and I should go become a movie star lmao.

@sparda, so would you recommend Touro over LIU?

Nope... I did not get off the une waiting list. I would choose PCOM any day. Plus tuition is like 37,000 a year >>. Snowing all the time doesnt help lol. Btw I checked out Fort lee the other day and went to Mitsuwa. I think pcom would be a better choice for me to learn, but my family wants me in ny. And I think I will choose LIU.However if LIU doesnt choose me, it's not such a big deal XD. All my pharmacists are telling me to go down to pcom anyways.

Also it was funny today since they told me Im going to hate pharmacy, the hospital and I should go become a movie star lmao.

@sparda, so would you recommend Touro over LIU?

keep me posted at where you will be attending?

Congrats.. I hope my turn is coming round :xf:
I hope you get in as well! I was depressed because my interviewer said I would get in; and at that time I did not. After I talked to him, he said he was still sure I would get in. He was right :). Actually last week I got a rejection letter from LIU. I thought it was a acceptance letter too lol. On friday when I was at jersey, admissions called me and told me to disregard that letter and that there was a position for me!

Today I went and picked up my mail! I swear it's good that LIU is close by me. I walked the manhattan bridge from manhattan to brooklyn today to get my mail lol.

And did you apply to other schools?

Last edited:
payed my deposit money. Anyone going to the july 20th orientation? does anyone know how long does it take for the loans and financial aid to kick in after you register for classes? Giving up my pcom seat tm... just need to do immunizations. And if anyone wants to study ahead with the medical terminology let me know.

If anyone is looking for housing I know a chinese family that is willing to do co-op for 500$ a month. They live around york street (F train station) very close to LIU in downtown brooklyn. They only accepting 1 person would prefer if the person is chinese or asian.

So how far did you get with your medical terminology.