Long vs McGovern (and tmdsas list)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegrind33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding between long and McGovern. Houston and SA are both good cities so I’m gonna call it a draw on location. I was honestly blown away at longs interview and their step avg is right there with McGovern. I also liked the tmc (who doesn’t though) but the faculty at long seemed more involved with the students than the faculty at uth. Also for my third spot on the tmdsas listing I’m deciding between tamu utmb and tech. As of now my list is tentatively 1 long 2 mcgovern 3 Tamu 4 utmb 5 tech. Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I need help deciding between long and McGovern. Houston and SA are both good cities so I’m gonna call it a draw on location. I was honestly blown away at longs interview and their step avg is right there with McGovern. I also liked the tmc (who doesn’t though) but the faculty at long seemed more involved with the students than the faculty at uth. Also for my third spot on the tmdsas listing I’m deciding between tamu utmb and tech. As of now my list is tentatively 1 long 2 mcgovern 3 Tamu 4 utmb 5 tech. Any help would be appreciated

In terms of step score averages, UTMB tops your list. McGovern has a pretty good environment from what I've seen but Long and UTMB are also good. IMO i would rank UTMB=McGovern > Long > Tamu > Tech. based on scores, locations, and environments.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of step score averages, UTMB tops your list. McGovern has a pretty good environment from what I've seen but Long and UTMB are also good. IMO i would rank UTMB=McGovern > Long > Tamu > Tech. based on scores, locations, and environments.
Thanks for the input, I have heard that UTMBs real step average is around the other UT schools because they manipulate their average or something like that (makes sense because I do not see how a school with a 508 avg mcat outperforms one with a 510 and 513), thoughts on this? Do you know if this is real or speculation?

Between Long and McGovern, I’d say go with where you fit the best. Both are in areas of great clinical opportunity and are very comparable in that regard. Maybe look to see which specialty you’re interested in, and if either of those schools have any kind of focus within the area of medicine you’re interested in. For your third choice, I’d personally go with UTMB. Students seemed really chill, STEP scores look consistently high (exams utilized retired questions), and compared to A&M and Tech, it looks like the clinical and research advantages are a little bit more apparent. Tech and A&M are great schools if you have interest in rural medicine, as both have rotation sites in small Texas towns.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input, I have heard that UTMBs real step average is around the other UT schools because they manipulate their average or something like that (makes sense because I do not see how a school with a 508 avg mcat outperforms one with a 510 and 513), thoughts on this? Do you know if this is real or speculation?
Not sure how you can manipulate it but one thing is for sure that they do practice step questions in their curriculum. Ik this cuz i have two cousins going there atm.

Honestly, McGovern has a stronger reputation overall than the other schools you discussed. I would not take your interview impression too too strongly as it is just who you happened to get placed with that specific day. Overall, McGovern has a reputation to be very clinically/academically strong as well as collaborative, congenial, and friendly!