Longhorns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It'll be fun beating you in football this year ...
your football team suck last year, and it will suck this year and you know it. it is not even going to be a good game. because we will break you.

Members don't see this ad :)
College is what you make of it. And as far as 'medical school preparation' that's up to you more than it is your school.

How are the other UT schools (arlington, SA, etc.)?

And yeah, it's pretty much how well you do, not how well your school does- however going to a good school does look nicer in terms of rigor (not that there's a HUGE difference in all of the known Texas schools).

How are the other UT schools (arlington, SA, etc.)?

And yeah, it's pretty much how well you do, not how well your school does- however going to a good school does look nicer in terms of rigor (not that there's a HUGE difference in all of the known Texas schools).

I wouldnt say that much different.

Graduated in 3.5 years from UT. Neurobio degree, 4.0, high honors, phi beta kappa as a junior and all that jazz. Starting at UTSW in about 2 days.

In all honesty, UT is a joke. Classes are huge with a bunch of blood sucking pre-med ******s. Groveling to the teachers after class and stabbing everyone in sight. One dude poisoned my O-Chem lab experiment. Still got all A despite this bull****, and I am not that smart of a dude.

The school itself cares nothing for you. The premed advisers are a joke. They had no idea that duke used a different rec application. I even heard one telling an applicant they would be fine applying with a 25 MCAT.

I have numerous other gripes about the school but I don't feel like elaborating at the moment.

The only redeeming aspect of the school are the hot, and i mean smoking sorority girls. So if you do decide on this school at least join a frat so you can get in on that action. Oh, and the parties kick ass too.

Graduated in 3.5 years from UT. Neurobio degree, 4.0, high honors, phi beta kappa as a junior and all that jazz. Starting at UTSW in about 2 days.

In all honesty, UT is a joke. Classes are huge with a bunch of blood sucking pre-med ******s. Groveling to the teachers after class and stabbing everyone in sight. One dude poisoned my O-Chem lab experiment. Still got all A despite this bull****, and I am not that smart of a dude.

The school itself cares nothing for you. The premed advisers are a joke. They had no idea that duke used a different rec application. I even heard one telling an applicant they would be fine applying with a 25 MCAT.

I have numerous other gripes about the school but I don't feel like elaborating at the moment.

The only redeeming aspect of the school are the hot, and i mean smoking sorority girls. So if you do decide on this school at least join a frat so you can get in on that action. Oh, and the parties kick ass too.

Totally make the brochure next year.

Totally make the brochure next year.

LoL, Come at me UT...

it is true that zyzz died? i don't frequent the bb.com boards, but my roomie told me the misc is going crazy with zyzz death tributes.

I guess he died in a sauna over in Thailand?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I almost forgot... None of your teachers or TAs will speak english so make sure to become fluent in Chinese or Korean before your first day.

You know where would be a better place to ask these sorts of things?

UT.

Dam bro. Every post of yours I read on these boards is either sarcastic or just strait up nasty. We all realize you are probably bitter with the way your application cycle ended. No doubt you feel you deserved better with your sick numbers. I mean I would be pissed too with all those waitlists at top schools. But let go man. It doesn't matter. Whatever you do to let loose is not working for ya.

Last edited:

This is why you don't major in something with a bunch of blood-sucking pre-meds.

(Yeah, the advisors are just... :laugh:)

This is why you don't major in something with a bunch of blood-sucking pre-meds.

(Yeah, the advisors are just... :laugh:)

+1. A major without gunner pre meds is awesome

fond memories of the girls in boots and short dresses at football games. I suppose it wasn't all a circle jerk.

This makes me want to transfer to U of H or somewhere :)

q

Last edited:
Zyzz (probably) died. Confirmed by his sponsors.

And the poster above me is right about the korean/chinese thing. And jhamaican, do you know if UT has that premed committee thing that writes you a letter, or did you just use 3 professors you had.

Lol you can't just say probably, and then confirmed. But now I think he really might be dead despite really strange things leading up to it.

q

Last edited:
Zyzz (probably) died. Confirmed by his sponsors.

And the poster above me is right about the korean/chinese thing. And jhamaican, do you know if UT has that premed committee thing that writes you a letter, or did you just use 3 professors you had.

They don't actually write a letter, they just put on a cover sheet and certify your letters? (what the hell this actually does I have no idea).

If you want a further example of UT incompetence read below, otherwise don't bother:

Well, now that you brought it up. They have a letter system in which they compile your letters for you and they require 3 academic letters, 2 of which must be from UT. My third academic letter was from the chairman(woman?) of urology department at Baylor and they refused to count that as an academic letter because the research didn't give me college credit. Long story short they wouldn't give me my cover letter. She told me she was on the committee that wrote the step 2 urology questions for christ sake. I had to hurry and get a crappy letter from a professor i sort of knew this delayed my app by about a week. If a medical school professor is not "academic" I don't know what is. What was most ridiculous was that these absurd stipulations were not stated until I actually went to submit my recs. So glad to be out of that joke of a school.

They don't actually write a letter, they just put on a cover sheet and certify your letters? (what the hell this actually does I have no idea).

If you want a further example of UT incompetence read below, otherwise don't bother

Not to downgrade what I'm sure was a frustrating experience - but this comes with the territory of attending a large public university. Bureaucracies and inefficiencies are just part of it.

Not to downgrade what I'm sure was a frustrating experience - but this comes with the territory of attending a large public university. Bureaucracies and inefficiencies are just part of it.

Agreed 100%. But if you can avoid it, do so. The OP was asking about UT, just don't want these inefficiencies to surprise him if he does end up choosing the school.

100%. class wth 200+ students, its easy to get lost. I got lucky that the TAMU advising office was very on top of things and made the students be as well to help them out.

wow dude.....this makes me have second thoughts about UT. So basically the pre med students are stupid and all the teachers only speak with foreign accents. this sounds like alot of trouble tbh. I was actually excited about this school....

but than again, a 4.0 is impressive man. And u said none of the classes were hard????

wow dude.....this makes me have second thoughts about UT. So basically the pre med students are stupid and all the teachers only speak with foreign accents. this sounds like alot of trouble tbh. I was actually excited about this school....

but than again, a 4.0 is impressive man. And u said none of the classes were hard????

I feel like its like this outside of SDN :laugh:

But really TA's will usually be from a country with a thick accent. Its everywhere. :laugh:.

Dont let one experience get you down but just be aware of some of the pitfalls with large universities. I do think the pros outweigh the cons though

I feel like its like this outside of SDN :laugh:

But really TA's will usually be from a country with a thick accent. Its everywhere. :laugh:.

Dont let one experience get you down but just be aware of some of the pitfalls with large universities. I do think the pros outweigh the cons though

ya, i still wanna go to UT but im glad yall cleared up some of my doubts. But do students really sabotage other students projects?????

ya, i still wanna go to UT but im glad yall cleared up some of my doubts. But do students really sabotage other students projects?????

Only if there are gunners in the class. I never had an experience like that at TAMU but then again the only premed lab course i took at TAMU were i did something was Chem II lab where it was too early in the morning for even gunners to care :laugh:

Biology lab is like: find this. ID this. K Done. Learn it. Quiz next week

Only if there are gunners in the class. I never had an experience like that at TAMU but then again the only premed lab course i took at TAMU were i did something was Chem II lab where it was too early in the morning for even gunners to care :laugh:

Biology lab is like: find this. ID this. K Done. Learn it. Quiz next week

wow i had no idea students were like that....thought people grew up between hs and college, guess i was wrong!

but what do u mean "pre med" courses....i thought it was just a science course for science majors and stuff like that. I had no idea there were specific pre med courses. (don't flame)

wow i had no idea students were like that....thought people grew up between hs and college, guess i was wrong!

but what do u mean "pre med" courses....i thought it was just a science course for science majors and stuff like that. I had no idea there were specific pre med courses. (don't flame)

Excuse the confusion. I meant pre-med requirement course. As in Chem :laugh: sorry

Gunners always gun.

Excuse the confusion. I meant pre-med requirement course. As in Chem :laugh: sorry

Gunners always gun.

what about all the other pre med courses? o chem, physics, calc,...etc?

what about all the other pre med courses? o chem, physics, calc,...etc?

Never heard of anyone gunning in calc or physics. Its miserable enough in there for most normal pre meds. even gunners suffer

TBH i never have personally had a gunner experience with a class at A&M. Guess i got lucky.:laugh:

What does "going ivy" even mean? They are joining the sports conference? The ivy league is a set grouping of 8 schools and you can't join them even if you have a great school.

Never heard of anyone gunning in calc or physics. Its miserable enough in there for most normal pre meds. even gunners suffer

TBH i never have personally had a gunner experience with a class at A&M. Guess i got lucky.:laugh:

wow i just found out what a gunner is from reading old posts.....thats messed up.

I mean, i love getting good grades and all but i dont think im a gunner :scared:

Oh, forgot to mention, unless you're tenacious as **** and you are good at physics/have a lot of time to learn by yourself and read the book, don't take physics at UT. Unarguably the worst class ever. Even the advisers admit that they receive the most complaints about the physics department.

Dam bro. Every post of yours I read on these boards is either sarcastic or just strait up nasty. We all realize you are probably bitter with the way your application cycle ended. No doubt you feel you deserved better with your sick numbers. I mean I would be pissed too with all those waitlists at top schools. But let go man. It doesn't matter. Whatever you do to let loose is not working for ya.

i-aint-even-mad-lawl-lawl-lawl-umadbro.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention, unless you're tenacious as **** and you are good at physics/have a lot of time to learn by yourself and read the book, don't take physics at UT. Unarguably the worst class ever. Even the advisers admit that they receive the most complaints about the physics department.

Solution: Take Physics over the summer at CC :laugh:

what other classes would you take at CC

Is it not looked down upon if all of your physics was done at a CC? And with regards to UT, does the notorious difficulty of physics apply to the entire department? After transferring out of Engineering, I thought I dodged a bullet by being able to take the non-calculus version. I already claimed AP credit for Mechanics so I feel as though weaseling out E&M with a CC course might appear as weakness in physics to adcoms. I already took intro electrical eng. classes and consider myself decent at physics so I wasn't really worrying about the physics class too much. Should I?

Ok, well take non-calc based. I took calc based, and I spent many hours reading this POS book that apparently won't be used anymore cause it is so bad. If you have to take calc-based, Godspeed. Algebra based isn't too bad from what I hear. All the other classes aren't that rough. It's just a time management thing. You gotta start off working hard and not let everything build up till the last minute.

I personally never met anyone who is a gunner at TAMU. i don't think there are a lot of those people. overall, i think it is TAMU have a different (very friendly) environment. I guess the difference is because UT is full of asians who used to study day and night in HS to get in to top 10% of their classes. (i am not racist toward asian, i am one)
All the premed (upperclassmen) that I talked to always tried to help me out and point me in the right directions. Obviously I can't said there are not gunners at TAMU, i just never seen one.
Oh, and non calc phys at TAMU is super easy...in 2 semester i only go to recitations and tests and was able to make A. I cant say the same for calc based phys tho, i know for a fact that the test avg in those classes are about 30 or 40%...

I personally never met anyone who is a gunner at TAMU. i don't think there are a lot of those people. overall, i think it is TAMU have a different (very friendly) environment. I guess the difference is because UT is full of asians who used to study day and night in HS to get in to top 10% of their classes. (i am not racist toward asian, i am one)
All the premed (upperclassmen) that I talked to always tried to help me out and point me in the right directions. Obviously I can't said there are not gunners at TAMU, i just never seen one.
Oh, and non calc phys at TAMU is super easy...in 2 semester i only go to recitations and tests and was able to make A. I cant say the same for calc based phys tho, i know for a fact that the test avg in those classes are about 30 or 40%...

Try 20's :laugh: The high on some test are 40's :laugh:

If non calc based is that much easier why take Calc based? Just major dependent?

If non calc based is that much easier why take Calc based? Just major dependent?

Pretty much. IMO i liked Calc based better. You get a better understanding of the material since you have to use the math newton invited to understand physics. Also if you ever get stuck on a formula, you use calculus to derive it.

No, actually non-calc based was closed by the time I could register so I had to deal with sloppy seconds... Both semesters it was closed.

Agreed. Although 6th street is awesome, I was turned off by stories of under-management and bureaucracy at UT and decided not to go there.

Agreed. Although 6th street is awesome, I was turned off by stories of under-management and bureaucracy at UT and decided not to go there.

But teh bars? My friends that are older have told me crazy stories about hobos chasing them down the street.