Longhorns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay2324

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, University of texas longhorns!!!! i am really considering this school. I have heard it is extremely rigorous for pre med students. Please give me advice as far as o chem and calculus and any stories or experiences that you may have had on your pre med track. I will appreciate anything. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, University of texas longhorns!!!! i am really considering this school. I have heard it is extremely rigorous for pre med students. Please give me advice as far as o chem and calculus and any stories or experiences that you may have had on your pre med track. I will appreciate anything. Thanks

For O chem try to take Dr. Brent Iverson. He is one of the authors for Organic Chemistry 5e. For Calculus, try to take it with Diane Radin.

Iverson is overrated.

geez i come on here for some advice and get this?

grow up

I find it ironic you tell me to grow up when you are the one asking for advice on colleges. If you truly want a good pre-med experiences you would do the research yourself.

It's all in good fun, but Texas is a bit overrated IMO. If you want a good pre-med experience Baylor or A&M are the way to go. A&M's pre-med advisors are awesome. TCU and SMU are great too.

I find it ironic you tell me to grow up when you are the one asking for advice on colleges. If you truly want a good pre-med experiences you would do the research yourself.

It's all in good fun, but Texas is a bit overrated IMO. If you want a good pre-med experience Baylor or A&M are the way to go. A&M's pre-med advisors are awesome. TCU and SMU are great too.

Its better to hear actual peoples experiences in my opinion. thats why i asked people on here.

How is UT overrated?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Its better to hear actual peoples experiences in my opinion. thats why i asked people on here.

How is UT overrated?

Comparing the UT BA of Biology(assuming thats what you wanna major in) to A&M, UT's degree is alot easier. A&M has more opportunities for research too.

Comparing the UT BA of Biology(assuming thats what you wanna major in) to A&M, UT's degree is alot easier. A&M is a higher researched oriented school too.

lolwut

both degrees are comparable. both schools have research opportunities galore

I laughed a little while reading this. Sorry.
If you want a good premed experience, you don't pick a fruity expensive private religion-affiliated college that's not nearly as good as UT.

Disclaimer: idgaf about UT.

The proof is in the pudding. TCU has one of the best programs in the country. Baylor itself is a rigorous school and SMU is as well. All these schools will prepare you well for medical school.

lolwut

both degrees are comparable. both schools have research opportunities galore

Look at the degree programs bro. And A&M generates more money for research.

UT, A&M, UH, and Rice. All Tier 1, which provides ample research. Baylo isn't necessarily good for med. People just get fooled b/c there is a Baylor College of Medicine. But Rice as the Baylor scholar thing.

Look at the degree programs bro. And A&M generates more money for research.

The point being? For both programs you end up taking electives based on your interest. Theres no real way of saying one is easier than the other unless you did both at the same time. Pure science degrees are like that in general.

Doesn't mean they dont have research money. I'd be willing to bet about the same percentage premed there are in research groups like at tamu

The point being? For both programs you end up taking electives based on your interest. Theres no real way of saying one is easier than the other unless you did both at the same time. Pure science degrees are like that in general.

Doesn't mean they dont have research money. I'd be willing to bet about the same percentage premed there are in research groups like at tamu

Meh. To each their own. And how could I forget Rice!!!

The proof is in the pudding. TCU has one of the best programs in the country. Baylor itself is a rigorous school and SMU is as well. All these schools will prepare you well for medical school.

Are you talking about a delusional pudding? Never in my life have I heard that TCU, Baylor and SMU are prestigious/rigorous/'best' at anything.

Are you talking about a delusional pudding? Never in my life have I heard that TCU, Baylor and SMU are prestigious/rigorous/'best' at anything.

Yeah, they are all just super expensive private schools, except Baylor actually gives out aid.

I'm not going to argue with you about schools that I don't even go to. TCU gets lots of kids into med school each year. Baylor is supposedly going "ivy" league as well as getting tons of kids into med school. Same can be said for SMU. Mind you this is what I heard from graduates there but they do get lots of kids into med school each yr. They are doing something right.

UT is a great school. The teachers are amazing, and so are the advisers. I don't know too much about the premed advisers because I never took the opportunity to go to one since they were always booked when I went last year. Honestly though, go where you feel like you belong. Don't go somewhere just because it is "good for premeds" or whatever. As long as you do well in undergrad and are at the top of your game, you can get into med school, regardless of which institution you went to.

O-chem was pretty fun for me. It was tough, but I liked it. My first semester professor was kind of a jerk to people that didn't pay attention in class, but he was really smart and knew how to teach really well. Very fair grader as well. My second semester teacher couldn't teach very well, but he was really fun in class and was much more helpful in office hours. Basically, your educational experience largely depends on which teachers/TAs you get.

Comparing the UT BA of Biology(assuming thats what you wanna major in) to A&M, UT's degree is alot easier. A&M has more opportunities for research too.

na im doing biomedical engineering

UT>>>>

as far as engineering

UT is a great school. The teachers are amazing, and so are the advisers. I don't know too much about the premed advisers because I never took the opportunity to go to one since they were always booked when I went last year. Honestly though, go where you feel like you belong. Don't go somewhere just because it is "good for premeds" or whatever. As long as you do well in undergrad and are at the top of your game, you can get into med school, regardless of which institution you went to.

O-chem was pretty fun for me. It was tough, but I liked it. My first semester professor was kind of a jerk to people that didn't pay attention in class, but he was really smart and knew how to teach really well. Very fair grader as well. My second semester teacher couldn't teach very well, but he was really fun in class and was much more helpful in office hours. Basically, your educational experience largely depends on which teachers/TAs you get.
this is what i was looking for. I dont expect UT to be easy but i do expect it to be fun! Did u manage to get A's in all the pre reqs so far?

na im doing biomedical engineering

UT>>>>

as far as engineering

If you are interested in the BME program there contact WhatYouSay. He's a senior in it now so he might be able to help you. That said, BME programs vary from school to school. Unlike science program, enigneering programs differ greatly and one might be better for you than another based on your interests.

If you are interested in the BME program there contact WhatYouSay. He's a senior in it now so he might be able to help you. That said, BME programs vary from school to school. Unlike science program, enigneering programs differ greatly and one might be better for you than another based on your interests.

I heard it's pretty killer at UT.

UT is a hard school. I don't know much about its engineering programs though.

I heard it's pretty killer at UT.

I have no idea how the actual classes are at UT i just know the curriculum and course layout. When it came time for me to choose, A&M had a much better program to offer me personally than UT's program did. The lack of biomechanics in the UT program really pushed me away. For the OP this might not be the issue if he isnt interested in biomechanics

thanks, ya i've messaged him already. He saids its hard but fun. It seems like something I'd be interested in at UT but i do wanna go to med school as well.

Where do you go?

I have no idea how the actual classes are at UT i just know the curriculum and course layout. When it came time for me to choose, A&M had a much better program to offer me personally than UT's program did. The lack of biomechanics in the UT program really pushed me away. For the OP this might not be the issue if he isnt interested in biomechanics

Yea I always heard A&M had great engineering programs.

Oh so you're doing BME at A&M? I'm doing BME as my major as well. Stoked about the attrition rate for it.:D

thanks, ya i've messaged him already. He saids its hard but fun. It seems like something I'd be interested in at UT but i do wanna go to med school as well.

Where do you go?

A&M. The BME program and close medical and vet school to research at were big pluses

One thing that i will iterate that maybe he already said(many others may echo this)

If you have any reason of doubt engineering might an take away an extreme amount of time from extra-curriculars compared to other majors and you feel that you may struggle with it as in making <3.4, I would reconsider doing engineering if you are dead set on medicine. Engineering can be very rewarding but it is also very demanding and takes a whole different set of study and time management skills. I love it. Others not so much.

of course it is. Its one of its most competitive departments

Yeah, Cockrell School of Engi is pretty reknown. I know a bunch of my friends doing it within the next month.

Oh so you're doing BME at A&M? I'm doing BME as my major as well. Stoked about the attrition rate for it.:D

What drew me was the % of students who were BME and applied to medical school got it. when i entered it was 90%. Over the years its been 75%, 100% and back to 90% i believe

A&M. The BME program and close medical and vet school to research at were big pluses

One thing that i will iterate that maybe he already said(many others may echo this)

If you have any reason of doubt engineering might an take away an extreme amount of time from extra-curriculars compared to other majors and you feel that you may struggle with it as in making <3.4, I would reconsider doing engineering if you are dead set on medicine. Engineering can be very rewarding but it is also very demanding and takes a whole different set of study and time management skills. I love it. Others not so much.
Everyone keeps telling me this. Idk it freaks me out everytime i hear this but i feel like it would be fun rather than a regular degree, You know?

plus i love math and science and i feel like engineering is a perfect combo of the two

What drew me was the % of students who were BME and applied to medical school got it. when i entered it was 90%. Over the years its been 75%, 100% and back to 90% i believe

Yeah, I like that aspect. Also the fallback of having a good Engi job, if med school doesn't work. Plus since i wanna be an orthopod, it just makes sense to do engineering. Biomed + Engineering = success.

Everyone keeps telling me this. Idk it freaks me out everytime i hear this but i feel like it would be fun rather than a regular degree, You know?

plus i love math and science and i feel like engineering is a perfect combo of the two

Just gauge the waters freshmen and sophomore year. If you love math and science, find them easy and fun, and have no problem truly understanding and putting concepts to use instead of straight memorization , you can be successful in engineering. It is a lot of fun imo compared to other degrees but also 100x as much work. However, if you survive and do well, you will have the work ethic and mental fortitude to handle whatever comes your way after engineering, be it real world work or medicine.

Start strong, finish strong, be willing to do summer school or take 16-17 hours a semester. Thats all i can say

this is what i was looking for. I dont expect UT to be easy but i do expect it to be fun! Did u manage to get A's in all the pre reqs so far?
Yeah, I have a 4.0 as of right now, thankfully. Getting A's isn't a cakewalk, but it's pretty easy if you have your priorities straight, or if you can cram really well (like me :D). If you manage your time wisely, you'll be fine.

In terms of total expenditures on research, A&M is first with $581 million in fiscal year 2009. UT-Austin is second with $535 million. The amount of research expenditures at A&M and UT-Austin is nearly double the amount at all the other public universities in Texas combined.
Source (the most recent numbers on both schools' websites put UT at $642 mil vs A&M with $652)

I had no idea where A&M stood until looking this fact up. Apparently, A&M spends, overall, more on research than UT despite having a smaller student population and budget. Nevertheless, UT is considered to be a top notch research university and both schools with provide more than ample research opportunities (but you'll have to take the initiative to find them).

Fixed that for you.

Calc can be a cake walk if you choose the right professors and take the class seriously (aka going to class). There are a good amount of professors for both Cal I and II that teach very fairly with predictable tests. As with any class, if you do the homework and understand it, you'll get an A in the class. With the exception of only a few professors, none of them are out there to trick you or nitpick you down to a B.

Between A&M and UT, they are both great schools and both can reliably get you into a good medical school. Both have strong pre-med programs so it really comes down to which one just "feels" better. You'll be there for 4 or 5 years and you should really be happy living at whichever school you pick. They each have a different atmosphere with A&M being much more conservative, having many strong traditions, while Austin is home to a much more liberal and free-spirited pack.

But if you're good enough to get into UT's BME program (~top 1-2% of your class and 2200+ SAT), then I wouldn't recommend going to any of the other schools you listed unless you have an overwhelming reason. If it's the money, then A&M should offer you more than enough scholarship money to stay competitive. Baylor is an alright school and all but it's far from a "ivy". They'll get the job done but I can't see any reason why you would pick them over UT or A&M.

But be careful about choosing to go the BME route to medical school just because you think it'll be "fun". Without adequate credit walking into UT, BME can easily turn into a 5 year degree. Keep in mind that this is how tough the curriculum is before loading up on the EC's. The only reason BME has such a high matriculation rate is because the program is so tough and no one makes it that far without being particularly intelligent (hello high attrition rate!).

lol aggies represent.
TU is def harder for premed. you will just be partying all the time. austin is def the bomb...so much fun...so many things to do..to the point you prolly won't want to study LOL
to me a&m def gave me the right environment to focus on my study. 2 big hospitals to volunteer. great advisor. and easy oportunities to participate in research.
Baylor is cool too, but Waco is WAYYYY too boring. At least we do have something going on at colelge station.
btw, please...TU and a&m is neck and neck as far as engineering goes. The only reason TU have a leg up over A&M in ranking as because UT do have a better business school.

Between A&M and UT, they are both great schools and both can reliably get you into a good medical school. Both have strong pre-med programs so it really comes down to which one just "feels" better. You'll be there for 4 or 5 years and you should really be happy living at whichever school you pick. They each have a different atmosphere with A&M being much more conservative, having many strong traditions, while Austin is home to a much more liberal and free-spirited pack.

But if you're good enough to get into UT's BME program (~top 1-2% of your class and 2200+ SAT), then I wouldn't recommend going to any of the other schools you listed unless you have an overwhelming reason. If it's the money, then A&M should offer you more than enough scholarship money to stay competitive. Baylor is an alright school and all but it's far from a "ivy". They'll get the job done but I can't see any reason why you would pick them over UT or A&M.

But be careful about choosing to go the BME route to medical school just because you think it'll be "fun". Without adequate credit walking into UT, BME can easily turn into a 5 year degree. Keep in mind that this is how tough the curriculum is before loading up on the EC's. The only reason BME has such a high matriculation rate is because the program is so tough and no one makes it that far without being particularly intelligent (hello high attrition rate!).
Ill agree with you for the most part. If it wasnt for my AP chem, physics credits and AP Engl, Hist, Eco and Poly Sci, I would have easily been in BME for 5+ years with pre med requirements. That said some med schools dont like AP credit but BME has more than enough upper level science to make up for it. I did retake chemII just as reassurance freshmen year to show medical schools.

A little aside
Aside(ha word play) from picking the school based on rankings and environment, if you are dead set on doing BME,picking a school with a BME program you are interested in should play a factor in you deciding. That said the difference between UT's and A&M's BME program is based around how they are set up.

UT's is like an applied biological chemical engineering/biotechnology with a little emphasis on some important concepts(signals). If you look at the faculty research pages you can see the areas the department is interested in(Cellular mechanics,computational(think bioinformatics), and some imaging). I've heard people here say they dont really think of it as engineering(Which is good or bad depending on how you feel about it). The course work is very oriented to fulfilling the pre med requirements(Biol,Ochem etc)

A&M's more generalized BME program. Its basically a mix between EE, MechE and biomedical sciences. You take more EE oriented courses and take more "classical" continuum "mechanics" classes. You are required to take imaging courses and instrumentation courses. The flip side is you dont have to take biology(Pre-Meds do), PCHEM, or OCHEM. Since A&M BME faculty have a large range of interest, they elective courses senior and junior year span around 5-6 different categories. I would consider the program here an engineering program. I can still talk with EE and Mech E's and still be able to communicate and understand them

lol aggies represent.
TU is def harder for premed. you will just be partying all the time. austin is def the bomb...so much fun...so many things to do..to the point you prolly won't want to study LOL
to me a&m def gave me the right environment to focus on my study. 2 big hospitals to volunteer. great advisor. and easy oportunities to participate in research.
Baylor is cool too, but Waco is WAYYYY too boring. At least we do have something going on at colelge station.
btw, please...TU and a&m is neck and neck as far as engineering goes. The only reason TU have a leg up over A&M in ranking as because UT do have a better business school.
Have you seen the new ranking for the business school? We are ahead now according to Forbes.

Just gauge the waters freshmen and sophomore year. If you love math and science, find them easy and fun, and have no problem truly understanding and putting concepts to use instead of straight memorization , you can be successful in engineering.

I would keep this in mind - remember, you aren't married to a degree plan. If you have a fundamental problem with the major that you're pursuing, don't be afraid to sit and consider about switching degrees. Engineering, just like any other major, is not for everybody.

Also, I'm sad to see that it only took 6 posts for this thread to devolve into "this school is better than that school" poopstorm.

Gah, can;t wait for my 19 cr hour sem.

I attend the University of Chuck Norris at Texas (UCNT for y'all out there) and it's the best university in Texas, hands down. Our football team always wins because they end up roundhouse kicking the opposition into oblivion. Kinda helps that our head coach is Chuck Norris himself. Did I also remember to mention that he's the Pre-Med advisor? And he can help you get a 46U on your MCAT? (Yeah... He's that good)

Out of what you listed I'd go UT. Education, cost, and city/lifestyle-wise its the best deal.

Baylor might be fun if you don't mind spending time around Christian fundamentalists and a backwards administration. Waco seems awful. College Station doesn't seem much better.

Houston is fun but UH is in the 3rd ward and has a large commuter population. UTSA has a typical "satellite" complex.

GO AGGIES

Texas_AM_Aggies.jpg