Looking for advice on CNMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

km446

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for information on the life of CNM. I am interested in beginning a Graduate Entry program next year, but I want to be clear on what the career will be like. It is hard for me to shadow a CNM, because the closest ones are over three hours away. I have shadowed a homebirth midwife, but the volume is low so its hard to get an idea of what my life would be like. I am wondering what the quality of life is, how many hours worked per week, typical schedules, that kind of thing.

I am really trying to decide if this is a better route for me than becoming a physician (I was just accepted to a D.O. program). I really value quality of life and my own time to spend with family, friends, hobbies etc. I am reluctant to go to medical school because of the length of training and the hours of residency - I just don't think I will be a happy person while working 55-75 hours a week. In fact, I think that is insane! If I did go to medical school, it would be to pursue a career as a psychiatrist of family doc.

Any thoughts or experiences regarding the life of a CNM would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are much better off going to a nursing specific site and asking this question. Good luck.