Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in how some of you guys/gals might handle this situation.
I work in a fairly new group (old group was ousted by the hosp). I anesth. director is very politically oriented and a good guy, overall. He and another member of the group are buddies from residency and a then a private group. One of the CCU Dr's was having surgery and he requested either myself or the other member of our group (not the Director). When our director found out about it, he went to the surgeon and somehow lobbied to do the case without the pt's knowledge. Now the CCu Dr comes in the next am for surgery and neither of the two anesthesiologists he requested is greeting him before surgery. The reason the other anesthesiologist did not do the case was because he had other business outside the hosp to take care of. In case this is getting confusing, these two are the buddies from previous. I was oblivious to this whole situation until a week later. When I found out that the pt had requested me and that the director never told me and then slipped himself into the case. The CCu dr is not making any stink of it but has made it known that he was not happy, as has the recovery room staff who were aware of the whole situation and latter informed me.
So I hope it is clear enough and I was wondering how some of you might handle this?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Noyac said:
I'm interested in how some of you guys/gals might handle this situation.
I work in a fairly new group (old group was ousted by the hosp). I anesth. director is very politically oriented and a good guy, overall. He and another member of the group are buddies from residency and a then a private group. One of the CCU Dr's was having surgery and he requested either myself or the other member of our group (not the Director). When our director found out about it, he went to the surgeon and somehow lobbied to do the case without the pt's knowledge. Now the CCu Dr comes in the next am for surgery and neither of the two anesthesiologists he requested is greeting him before surgery. The reason the other anesthesiologist did not do the case was because he had other business outside the hosp to take care of. In case this is getting confusing, these two are the buddies from previous. I was oblivious to this whole situation until a week later. When I found out that the pt had requested me and that the director never told me and then slipped himself into the case. The CCu dr is not making any stink of it but has made it known that he was not happy, as has the recovery room staff who were aware of the whole situation and latter informed me.
So I hope it is clear enough and I was wondering how some of you might handle this?

Thanks in advance.

A power hungry director, or any power hungry dude in a group for that matter, is not good. Actually its worse than "not good". Its bad.

I'd approach him in a non gangsta fashion, ask him for his side of the story (i.e. "Dude, whats up with this? I had this all planned out and somehow you ended up doing the case..what happened?). Maybe he's got a good explanation.

If it turns out to be a power play, tell him your concerns about what power struggles will inevitably do to the integrity of your group.

Being in a group with a buncha dudes/dudettes is like a marriage...its all about compromise. If this isnt kept in mind, it'll eventually tear the group apart. If you see this as a developing problem, the only way to resolve it is behind closed doors (not at the OR front desk).

Very good post for a very common problem. Think of your group (if you are happy and in a good situation) as a rock band...how many bands have you seen making millions of dollars, only to eventually dissolve because of stupid power struggles? A group of successful anesthesiologists is like a rock band on a mini-scale. If you don't keep the big picture in mind you'll end up dissolving.

So what does a group have to do to get "ousted from the hospital"?

Members don't see this ad :)
asdash said:
So what does a group have to do to get "ousted from the hospital"?
Not really sure. There was a new surgeon owned hospital being built in town and some of the anesthesiologists had shares in it. The old group started to try and strong arm the hosp. from what I am told and the general atmosphere in the OR was awful. I really don't know much in the way of details since I came onto the scene a full year after the ousting. I was the first member of our group to arrive and have made some real headway in the standing of the anesth. dept to this point. I thought we had a really good thing going here but now I am a little concerned. This director, although much older than me and more experienced in hosp. politics, appeared to be a really good guy but the staff (nurses, not surgeons) has been making comments that make me worried. he arrived about 6 mon after I did and is a friend of the OR director. I feel that he will do anything to make himself look good. He is apparently threatened by my capabilities (this is coming from others). I thought the idea was to surround yourself by great colleagues, but obviously not everyone thinks that way. I will keep his name out of this because I am sure that more than a few of you know him.

jetproppilot said:
I'd approach him in a non gangsta fashion, ask him for his side of the story (i.e. "Dude, whats up with this? I had this all planned out and somehow you ended up doing the case..what happened?). Maybe he's got a good explanation.

So Jet, you don't recommend me walkin in on Monday and kicking the everlivin**it out of him?
Damn,I was hopin someone would give me a good reason to do it.

Noyac said:
So Jet, you don't recommend me walkin in on Monday and kicking the everlivin**it out of him?
Damn,I was hopin someone would give me a good reason to do it.

I suppose you could do that.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you do your job, and everyone likes you, the director's behind the scenes ways will catch up to him.