SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

looking for advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dchyno, Feb 27, 2007.

1. dchyno

dchyno 2+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2007
    what kind of advice would you give to a person who wants to resume their studies in pharmacy, but was shot down by a close family member?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. drugdoc

drugdoc Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Do it for yourself, not anyone else. Do you live your life according to how you want to or how other people think you should??

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Umm, shoot'em back.+pissed+ It doesn't matter what they think you can do. It matters what you think you can do. As long as the close family member is not needed for financial, emotional, or physical support, you'll be able to do whatever you like and show them how wrong they really are. If it's a spouse, that's a little harder because the coursework is difficult and you'll need that support to make it through unless you're just indepently able to accomplish this on your own. (Which, if that were the case I don't think I'd have to answer this question.)

5. why does it matter if they shoot you down? it's your career. I'd use what they said as motivation. I'm not sure if trying to succeed because of spite counts, but i guess motivation is motivation.

6. Idesiretosling

Idesiretosling 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2006
    My family weren't happy with my decision right at first because they were ignorant about the profession. Once I gave them some info to read and they talked to couple local pharmacists they came around and are now there to support me 100%! They told me they were happy I ignored their negativity about my choice in the beginning because now they know I made the right choice for myself!

It is your life and don't let yourself have to regret this decision because of ignorance and negativity. Your family loves you and will come around once they see it makes you happy!

7. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

May 7, 2005
    Ivory Tower
    You should listen to yourself first and foremost. If you are married your spouse's input is very important as well. Other family members, not as much so.