Quantcast

Looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlie98

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
How risky is it to decline a medical school acceptance and reapply the following year? Does anyone know someone who has actually done this and got into medical school the following year?
thanks
 

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2001
Messages
3,403
Reaction score
27
I don't know anyone who has done this but I'm certain most people will tell you that it is risky. Try asking the school to which you've been accepted.
 

Badgerbabe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2000
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Can you imagine how that looks to admission committees? You telling them how you feel you've been called to be a dr., you really want this bad, etc. etc., and then you basically are saying well, I want it, but not enough to go to THAT school. I would imagine it is VERY rare for someone to get away with this!
 

pcl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2001
Messages
370
Reaction score
0
I would think that the reason why would be a factor as to whether or not it is acceptable. I know my school does not regularly grant deferred admissions after May 15, so if there was a reason such as that, where you needed to take a year off unexpectedly, perhaps it would be more acceptable to schools the second app year. But if you are just trying to get into a better school, I don't think it would be looked upon favorably.

Good Luck
 

docuw

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2001
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Very risky. Any spot at a med school is an option to become a physician. Declining a spot would make your intentions clear to me if I were on an adcom.
 

BeckyG

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2001
Messages
270
Reaction score
1
While I agree it's risky, I do know someone who has successfully accomplished that task. He was accepted at Davis and decided he didn't want to go. The following year he applied again and got into UCSF - where he is now. Don't know the specifics of the reasons given to the adcoms, but he was successful. Good luck!

Becky
 
Top