Looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlie98

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How risky is it to decline a medical school acceptance and reapply the following year? Does anyone know someone who has actually done this and got into medical school the following year?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anyone who has done this but I'm certain most people will tell you that it is risky. Try asking the school to which you've been accepted.

Can you imagine how that looks to admission committees? You telling them how you feel you've been called to be a dr., you really want this bad, etc. etc., and then you basically are saying well, I want it, but not enough to go to THAT school. I would imagine it is VERY rare for someone to get away with this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that the reason why would be a factor as to whether or not it is acceptable. I know my school does not regularly grant deferred admissions after May 15, so if there was a reason such as that, where you needed to take a year off unexpectedly, perhaps it would be more acceptable to schools the second app year. But if you are just trying to get into a better school, I don't think it would be looked upon favorably.

Good Luck

Very risky. Any spot at a med school is an option to become a physician. Declining a spot would make your intentions clear to me if I were on an adcom.

While I agree it's risky, I do know someone who has successfully accomplished that task. He was accepted at Davis and decided he didn't want to go. The following year he applied again and got into UCSF - where he is now. Don't know the specifics of the reasons given to the adcoms, but he was successful. Good luck!

Becky