SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by charlie98, Jul 24, 2002.

1. charlie98

charlie98 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2001
    How risky is it to decline a medical school acceptance and reapply the following year? Does anyone know someone who has actually done this and got into medical school the following year?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I don't know anyone who has done this but I'm certain most people will tell you that it is risky. Try asking the school to which you've been accepted.
  4. Badgerbabe

Badgerbabe Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Can you imagine how that looks to admission committees? You telling them how you feel you've been called to be a dr., you really want this bad, etc. etc., and then you basically are saying well, I want it, but not enough to go to THAT school. I would imagine it is VERY rare for someone to get away with this!
  5. pcl

pcl Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    I would think that the reason why would be a factor as to whether or not it is acceptable. I know my school does not regularly grant deferred admissions after May 15, so if there was a reason such as that, where you needed to take a year off unexpectedly, perhaps it would be more acceptable to schools the second app year. But if you are just trying to get into a better school, I don't think it would be looked upon favorably.

Good Luck
  6. docuw

docuw Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Very risky. Any spot at a med school is an option to become a physician. Declining a spot would make your intentions clear to me if I were on an adcom.
  7. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2001
    While I agree it's risky, I do know someone who has successfully accomplished that task. He was accepted at Davis and decided he didn't want to go. The following year he applied again and got into UCSF - where he is now. Don't know the specifics of the reasons given to the adcoms, but he was successful. Good luck!