Jul 17, 2009
Status
Non-Student
i am about to be senior in high school in the fresno area and i was wondering if you guys had any advice as to what i should do to obtain a good resume in the four years of college before i apply to pharmacy schools, and if this year i was wondering if i should take some AP classes, thanks for the help

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
During college, I'd try and volunteer in a pharmacy. Maybe job-shadow. Find out as much about pharmacy as possible. It's probably good to do some other volunteer/club activities, too. Join a pre-pharmacy club if your school has one.

AP classes might help with getting into colleges. And they might also allow you to register for classes earlier (because the units may bump you up to sophomore status sooner). I don't know how important they are for pharmacy schools. Some pharmacy schools accept credit for non-science AP classes, but not for science classes. I'd check on some pharmacy school websites, but things may change by the time you apply anyway.

I took AP bio, and I found it helpful in my bio major classes. I also took AP physics, and while I re-took physics, it was nice to have the background. I didn't stress myself with 5 AP classes, like some of my classmates, but it's helpful having a couple. It prepares you better for college, too.

IrishRxMan

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Build a good relationship with a science professor that you are doing well in their class, actually a few professors. Stay in touch with them and drop by their office periodically during their office hours after you are done with the class. This will be a great benefit to you once you are ready to apply because you can go ask them to write you a recommendation. Do join a club and see if you can get leadership experience in one. Outside of that, just don't let life distract you too much from your studies.

DASicari

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2007
Orange County, CA
Status
Pharmacist
Which state are you going to high school in? I know a lot of the pharmacy schools in the Northeast have a 0-6 program in which you enter as a pre-pharmacy student for two years and then advance to your first professional year in year three.

These programs take applicants right out of high school, so you may want to look into that if you have a high SAT, GPA, and are sure you want to enter into the pharmacy profession.

OP
B
Jul 17, 2009
Status
Non-Student
im in california, and i looked into the 0-6 programs but none are close enough, im looking to stay close to home so im trying for ucsf

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
im in california, and i looked into the 0-6 programs but none are close enough, im looking to stay close to home so im trying for ucsf
Fresno --> Stockton is ~125 miles
Fresno --> San Francisco is ~183 miles

UoP has a 0-6 and is technically 'closer' than UCSF.

Transformer

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
In terms of location, your closest option to a 0-6 program is going to be UOP.

You wanna go to UCSF?
Do Research, and try to publish a scientific paper / research article(s). Keep a stellar GPA and get to know the research of ucsf pharmacy professors.

In case you are not aware, Central California School of Pharmacy (Opening in Fall 2011) is located in Fresno, CA. This can potentially be a back up option for you and others who live in Central California.

http://ccspedu.org/

Central California School of Pharmacy is projected to be a 3-year pharmD program. (Tuition estimated to be $34,640 for 2010 to 2011 school year). Not too expensive!!

Though, I think the real tuition will be around 36 to 38K per year. Even so, that's about 115 to 120K for 3 years of pharmacy school tuition. (That's comparable or equivalent to the total cost of attending a ucsf or ucsd pharmacy school for 4 years); plus the incentive of graduating 1 year early to get a head start on working off your loans or to start on your pharmacy residency.

Last edited:

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
California Northstate might also be an option. Sacramento is probably a little further than UCSF since OP won't be able to take 580 to 80 but it's an easier drive, that's for sure.

OP
B
Jul 17, 2009
Status
Non-Student
i was looking into uop, but it cost way to much, my parents told me they will pay for my BA, but i have to pay for pharmacy school, i was looking into the school opening in fresno but im worried about how young the school will be and if will be licensed or a respectable school

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
i was looking into uop, but it cost way to much, my parents told me they will pay for my BA, but i have to pay for pharmacy school, i was looking into the school opening in fresno but im worried about how young the school will be and if will be licensed or a respectable school
Pharmacy school is expensive, by and large.

We're all under "massive piles of debt" to quote Farmercyst's tagline, and I think limiting your options based on cost when student loans are available to cover it is not a good idea. Have you looked into Touro? I doubt they are as pricey as UoP.

I don't know your grades or anything about you, but if you pretty much have your heart set on UCSF, you'd better start working on getting into research labs and the like as soon as you're at a 4-year. It would behoove you not to go to a CSU if at all possible, as they are regurgitation institutions, not research-producing ones.

Okie7123

Oregon St. Pharm Student
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2008
Fullerton, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I wouldn't use AP classes as a replacement. First of all, they don't cover all the knowledge you will learn in the college level of the class often times and at college, you'll have a higher budget for labs that can aid you. Also, there are Pharm schools that won't accept AP credits. There's also the added benefit of if you take the AP class in HS, when you take the actual college course you will understand it much quicker and get a deeper understanding that may help you