Looking for any advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lebron23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the stress of midterms and everything getting to me, but I was hoping if anyone out there would be willing to be objective and give me any advice if possible?

I'm currently a 4th year student in a Canadian University majoring in Psychology (Honors BSc). It's been my goal to go to dental school in high school but a bad year has left me feeling a little defeated. I was wondering if anyone would let me know as to how they think my chances are for dentistry? I am completely aware that due to my low GPA I don't have a shot at Canadian Schools, so I'm really hoping to get into an American one. All these stats are from a Canadian School, and I'll explain in more detail in case its needed! Thanks to anyone who replies.

GPA Year 1: 3.74
GPA Year 2: 3.78
GPA Year 3: 3.32
Total GPA: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.33
- I'm currently in my 4th year of undergrad and I'm hoping that if I can have a better 4th and 5th year, along with retaking some science courses I can bump up my GPA to around a 3.7, and my science GPA to a 3.5.

DAT: Taking it this Nov, but I'm planning on retaking it next November as I feel like I am a bit under-prepared for this attempt. I'm hoping I'll get around a 19AA this time, but I'll be aiming for as high as I can next time, after taking the summer to study.

Shadowing: I have shadowed 100+ hours under a NYU trained dentist. I'm hoping to get this number up to 200+ by finding another dentist to shadow.

EC's: I have been volunteering (200+ hours) as a board member of a very expansive non-for-profit in my city. I am actually serving as the vice president as of now. I also participate in competitive martial arts tournaments regularly, something I started during school. I'm hoping to join some clubs at my school, but I haven't gotten around to that. Also, I have been working since my second year of university.

LORs: This is one area I need to do substantial work in. There are some professors that I am close too, but I haven't formally asked for any letters yet.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, and extra thanks to anyone who replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the stress of midterms and everything getting to me, but I was hoping if anyone out there would be willing to be objective and give me any advice if possible?

I'm currently a 4th year student in a Canadian University majoring in Psychology (Honors BSc). It's been my goal to go to dental school in high school but a bad year has left me feeling a little defeated. I was wondering if anyone would let me know as to how they think my chances are for dentistry? I am completely aware that due to my low GPA I don't have a shot at Canadian Schools, so I'm really hoping to get into an American one. All these stats are from a Canadian School, and I'll explain in more detail in case its needed! Thanks to anyone who replies.

GPA Year 1: 3.74
GPA Year 2: 3.78
GPA Year 3: 3.32
Total GPA: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.33
- I'm currently in my 4th year of undergrad and I'm hoping that if I can have a better 4th and 5th year, along with retaking some science courses I can bump up my GPA to around a 3.7, and my science GPA to a 3.5.

DAT: Taking it this Nov, but I'm planning on retaking it next November as I feel like I am a bit under-prepared for this attempt. I'm hoping I'll get around a 19AA this time, but I'll be aiming for as high as I can next time, after taking the summer to study.

Shadowing: I have shadowed 100+ hours under a NYU trained dentist. I'm hoping to get this number up to 200+ by finding another dentist to shadow.

EC's: I have been volunteering (200+ hours) as a board member of a very expansive non-for-profit in my city. I am actually serving as the vice president as of now. I also participate in competitive martial arts tournaments regularly, something I started during school. I'm hoping to join some clubs at my school, but I haven't gotten around to that. Also, I have been working since my second year of university.

LORs: This is one area I need to do substantial work in. There are some professors that I am close too, but I haven't formally asked for any letters yet.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, and extra thanks to anyone who replies!
You definitely have a shot at American schools, pending a good DAT score.

Are you planning to take the American or Canadian DAT? I would assume Canadian as you are only mentioning November test dates.

You definitely have a shot at American schools, pending a good DAT score.

Are you planning to take the American or Canadian DAT? I would assume Canadian as you are only mentioning November test dates.
Really hope so lol, I'm taking the Canadian DAT in a couple days, and then pending my results, I'll rewrite next year November using the summer to study, I'll also probably retake some first year science courses during the summer to refresh for the DAT and raise the GPA at the same time.

Really hope so lol, I'm taking the Canadian DAT in a couple days, and then pending my results, I'll rewrite next year November using the summer to study, I'll also probably retake some first year science courses during the summer to refresh for the DAT and raise the GPA at the same time.
I would look into taking the American DAT if you’re dead set on attending an American school. Some American schools don’t accept the Canadian DAT so you don’t want to limit your ability to apply broadly. Also, I’ve only taken the American DAT so I can’t personally comment, but I have heard that there’s a better opportunity to score higher on the American compared to the Canadian.

I am not sure where you’re located geographically, but the American DAT is offered at several Canadian locations. It is also offered on every day of the year, so you wouldn’t be restricted to only November/February test dates.

Reactions: 1 user