Looking for any masters/post-bacc advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlaqueAgain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've basically been pre dental my whole life, and after some soul searching I realized that just isn't what I want to spend the rest of my life doing and have switched to pre med. I was wondering about any successful programs you guys know of that would help me out. Currently looking at Mississippi, Case Western and LECOM. I'm from Texas and I have a 3.49 overall and 2.9 Science GPA. I have not taken a GRE yet but am about to take it to apply to places. Anywhere that does not require it would also be a bonus! I'm from Texas but go to school at Alabama, and can not start classes until July!

I'm currently filling out the application for LECOM's MMS program, and have a question about that here LECOM MMS Application

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you completed all the prerequisite coursework for medical school? If not, you will want to start doing that as soon as you're ready. Also, are you still a Texas resident and plan on applying to Texas medical schools? If so, get acquainted with TMDSAS and their education requirements as a guiding aid as you navigate the pre-med life.

Lastly, the GRE is not required for medical school; you will need to take the MCAT. You will not want to take that until you've completed all prerequisite coursework, have dedicated study time for the MCAT, and feel you're at your best. The score you recieve is a major factor med schools use in their evaluation as an applicant and whether you will be a good fit for their program or not. You do not want to take this when you're not ready as scoring poorly will affect your chances of being admitted. Information and statistics on applicants vs. matriculants for Texas medical schools for 2017 can be found here. As an example, the avg applicant has a 3.58 GPA and 504.6 MCAT score whereas the avg matriculant has a 3.75 GPA and 509.1 MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, yes and sorry to clarify I'm familiar with the process/requirements as they are quite similar to what is needed for dental school! I'm looking into master's programs to better my science GPA and get myself to be a competitive applicant for the next cycle. Many masters programs require an entrance exam, the GRE being one of them, and I'm taking that for MASter's programs now instead of the MCAT and receiving a mediocre score on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, yes and sorry to clarify I'm familiar with the process/requirements as they are quite similar to what is needed for dental school! I'm looking into master's programs to better my science GPA and get myself to be a competitive applicant for the next cycle. Many masters programs require an entrance exam, the GRE being one of them, and I'm taking that for MASter's programs now instead of the MCAT and receiving a mediocre score on it.

Keep in mind that grades from master's programs are not taken into account when medical schools calculate your GPA. A better option for you would be to enroll at an undergrad institution as a either a non-degree seeking graduate student (post-bacc) or pursue a second degree. Either option is valid and puts you at the driver's seat in deciding which courses to take (which would be BCPM) in order to improve your GPA. You mentioned your overall GPA is 3.49 and BCPM is 2.9--were you a science/math major? If so, that will extend the process by which you're redeeming yourself considerably, but if not, it may not be as as long. Keep in mind that redemption/reinvention may take a couple of years, so it's best you set realistic expectations with yourself and loved ones before you proceed.

A great thread by @Goro to check out is his advice for pre-meds who need reinvention. I suggest you check that out.

Reactions: 1 users
I would pursue an alternate career. That way if your grades don't improve you will still have a good career. You have likely taken a good bit of chemistry and calculus so I would suggest chemical engineering. The problem with pre medical is that if you don't get into med school your career outlook blows.

I would pursue an alternate career. That way if your grades don't improve you will still have a good career. You have likely taken a good bit of chemistry and calculus so I would suggest chemical engineering. The problem with pre medical is that if you don't get into med school your career outlook blows.
I noticed that in most threads you always encourage others to pursue other career options but that is not the OPs question. The question was about any successful programs he could apply to that would make him more competitive for pre-med. Where did you get chemical engineering from?! You are so random ! lol

OP I agree with the other posters. You should take the pre-requisites first. The only program I have heard about is the Masters at TCOM that is designed for preparation for Medical School, but they do require an MCAT. The easiest and cheapest option is to take DIY new science courses at the undergraduate level and ace them! Also check out Texas A&M Masters in Medical Science or UT Houston Masters in Biomedical Science which both require a GRE, but would be more in line with preparation for Medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Pre Med and Chemical Engineering share a lot of the same classes the first couple years of school so your likely closer to graduating. Most medical schools have like a 5% acceptance rate. Where I went to school chemical engineering was a popular pre med major and the medical schools supposedly let in applicants with lower GPAs. Since he is likely getting instate tuition cost at Alabama 2 years there should be fairly cheap. People get into med school with all sorts of different degrees.

Last edited:
So I've basically been pre dental my whole life, and after some soul searching I realized that just isn't what I want to spend the rest of my life doing and have switched to pre med. I was wondering about any successful programs you guys know of that would help me out. Currently looking at Mississippi, Case Western and LECOM. I'm from Texas and I have a 3.49 overall and 2.9 Science GPA. I have not taken a GRE yet but am about to take it to apply to places. Anywhere that does not require it would also be a bonus! I'm from Texas but go to school at Alabama, and can not start classes until July!

I'm currently filling out the application for LECOM's MMS program, and have a question about that here LECOM MMS Application

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!
Post-bac/SMPs are a dime-a-dozen. Tulane has a decent one, and so does Drexel, PCOM, Rosy F, Gtown, BU, Western, the Touros, LECOM, KCU, Mt Sinai, and many others.

Thank you again! Definitely a huge help, I know LECOM actually has a huge pool of their MMS degree feed right into their medical school so that would be the hope. But I was not a science major so it won't be as long for me to improve by science grades as a post-bacc. I'll definitely have to check out that post you sent me