Looking for critics for my personal statement!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowkeyme

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just finished my personal statement, and it would really help me if anyone would give me some advices. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Podiatry PS 02.docx
    17.8 KB · Views: 146
I'd try to give you some feedback over the weekend; if you didn't already, please remove any personal info like names and addresses.
Thank you so much! There's no specific personal information written in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your PS reads as if you're settling for podiatry because you couldn't get into an MD school, and some pod schools might care and others might not if they just want to fill their seats. If you want to maximize your chances I would rewrite it and get rid of the statistics about how many get into MD from Taiwan etc and just focus on how
Your PS reads as if you're settling for podiatry because you couldn't get into an MD school, and some pod schools might care and others might not if they just want to fill their seats. If you want to maximize your chances I would rewrite it and get rid of the statistics about how many get into MD from Taiwan etc and just focus on how you discovered pod.
Never thought about this before! It does feel that way, so thank you so much for this advice!

Hi, I just finished my personal statement, and it would really help me if anyone would give me some advices. Thank you in advance!
Hi lowkeyme

I'm a first year student at WesternU that interviewed everywhere for DPM, DO and MD programs. Here's my take for your personal statement:

Try thinking about your statement from the perspective of the person reading it. If you were on an admissions committee, you would be reading thousands upon thousands of applications each cycle with each applicant more or less saying the same things. So how do you stand out? If I'm being totally honest, I would skip the introduction story. Everyone tells a story and it would be hard pressed to say that anyones' story truly stands out. It's always some kind of personal injury, or witnessed illness that somehow affects the person to want to make a difference. Does that sound familiar?

I would offer the suggestion of going directly into what makes you unique. What's something you love doing? What life experiences have you had? What are qualities that you bring to the table that the school will benefit from? What do you plan on doing after you finish and how does the program assist you with that?

And when you pick that, start off the essay with a sentence that grabs attention. For example, my personal statement started with me saying it was never my dream to become a doctor.

Your personal statement needs to grab attention immediately. Generally, people tend to read the first few sentences and the last few sentences of any body of writing, and IF it catches the attention, will go through and pay more attention to the stuff in the middle. So you want to make sure you start strong and end strong with something that will make the reader think.

Hi lowkeyme

I'm a first year student at WesternU that interviewed everywhere for DPM, DO and MD programs. Here's my take for your personal statement:

Try thinking about your statement from the perspective of the person reading it. If you were on an admissions committee, you would be reading thousands upon thousands of applications each cycle with each applicant more or less saying the same things. So how do you stand out? If I'm being totally honest, I would skip the introduction story. Everyone tells a story and it would be hard pressed to say that anyones' story truly stands out. It's always some kind of personal injury, or witnessed illness that somehow affects the person to want to make a difference. Does that sound familiar?

I would offer the suggestion of going directly into what makes you unique. What's something you love doing? What life experiences have you had? What are qualities that you bring to the table that the school will benefit from? What do you plan on doing after you finish and how does the program assist you with that?

And when you pick that, start off the essay with a sentence that grabs attention. For example, my personal statement started with me saying it was never my dream to become a doctor.

Your personal statement needs to grab attention immediately. Generally, people tend to read the first few sentences and the last few sentences of any body of writing, and IF it catches the attention, will go through and pay more attention to the stuff in the middle. So you want to make sure you start strong and end strong with something that will make the reader think.
Thank you for your tips! I got several responses about removing the intro XD, it does sound cliched.