Looking for mentees: high school, pre-med, and junior med students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vietwind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently a US senior MD student, applying to radiology now. So far, I'm very happy with my education and residency application process. Now, it's time for me to share and help others, as others have helped me in the past.

I'd like to be one of your mentors for medical school and residency process. I'll meet with you regularly (by phone or email) to discuss for progress.

I'm looking for mentees who are willing to work hard and motivated to become physicians. It doesn't matter whether you're good students or not, if you're motivated and compassionate to become a physician, I'll try my best to help you.

A little bit about me:
1. MD student at a US med school, used to get accepted at both MD and DO schools.
2. Scored 99 on USMLE
3. Applied to Rad, had 20+ interviews so far
4. Used to work very close with admission committee and residency committee

If you're seriously interested become my mentee, please PM me and I'd contact you. If you have general questions, please leave it here.

Good luck for application process.

Members don't see this ad.

Buddhasmash,

I understand why you're skeptical but I have mentored many students and IMGs in the past. I'm very lucky to have the very best mentors so far in my career and I just want to share with you guys.

Remembers the days that you're unsure about your future, ton of questions about admission, medical schools, ..etc. I just want to help you out.

Again, looking forward to serious mentees.
V

Members don't see this ad :)
Some general questions:

How did you choose rads? Did you know early on? Did shadowing?
How did you work in the residency committees as a med student?
How important is a rads rotation for admissions? How about research?

As a lowly pre-med I don't claim to know anything about med school, but isn't

a score of "99 on USMLE" horribly failing?

As a lowly pre-med I don't claim to know anything about med school, but isn't

a score of "99 on USMLE" horribly failing?

Maybe he meant 99th percentile. He is applying to radiology residencies, so I could see that.

I'm honestly a little puzzled by what this would entail. Isn't the whole institution of SDN a big fat mentor/mentee sort of system? I mean, this is where people come to ask questions anyway...I mean, I guess you can advise people on going into radiology but don't med schools have this sort of thing already? I'm just confused. This seems very 30 Rock to me.

I'm honestly a little puzzled by what this would entail. Isn't the whole institution of SDN a big fat mentor/mentee sort of system? I mean, this is where people come to ask questions anyway...I mean, I guess you can advise people on going into radiology but don't med schools have this sort of thing already? I'm just confused. This seems very 30 Rock to me.

30 rock ftw! I'd ask him if he is looking for the same thing as jack, but that'd be naughty :-O

That was actually my reaction too...not the 30 rock thing just in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh If you think that this is a good idea, I just recently received a email from the prince of Nigeria and apparently he has selected me to be a business partner for a guaranteed profit of 2.5 Billion USD. The only thing is that due to current legalities, I need to send him $50,000 to hire a lawyer and process the paper work.

If anyone is interested in spiting the legal fees and then the profit PM me with a bank account number.

Call me cynical but:

Him asking for students?on SDN? that would be like pouring BBQ sauce on yourself and running into a room full of starving lions. :troll:

Hi All,
Thanks much for you responses here. I just want to make a couple points clear.

1. I don't have much time to waste here. I'm seriously looking for mentees because I believe it will help you and promote our profession as physicians. SDN is very toxic. I don't usually trust whatever people said. You have to take everything here with your our risk. I had a hard time finding correct information here.
If you're not serious, don't post here.

2. I'll give you my name, my phone number, school email, etc...and even places I'm going to interview if you're around so we can chat. You can call me and email, whatever convenient for both. Probably email works better for me. We'll contact regularly to monitor your progress.

3. Why Radiology? this is the best field for me. Once you're in med school, you'll find out the best field for me. We'll talk more when you're approaching to residency.

4. I received a number of PM so far interested in mentoring. I'll reply all but It may take a while. Please be patient.

5. For some questions here regarding resident committee as a med student. You can join some organization (such as AAEM) and be selected to one of their committee member. I have friends are on these committee.

My research mentor was on the residency committee. For those who interested in rad, people usually do 2-3 rotations in rad and they should do well (Honors). This could be done in the end of 3rd year and begining of 4th year.

Of course, my personal experience cannot cover all medical school and residency application process but I hope I can offer you some help and guidelines to go through.

VW

1. I don't have much time to waste here. I'm seriously looking for mentees because I believe it will help you and promote our profession as physicians. SDN is very toxic. I don't usually trust whatever people said. You have to take everything here with your our risk. I had a hard time finding correct information here.
If you're not serious, don't post here.
Let's ignore the obvious irony of this statement for a second and assume that you really are some sort of guiding light in a haze of misinformation. Why would you not share your thoughts publicly and set everyone straight? Like others have said, the whole purpose for this site is to create a hub of information for people interested or involved in health professions. I'm not sure what reason people would have to go out of their respective ways to get in touch with you and you only when you could just post in threads. Perhaps you have some ulterior motivation for wanting to keep things private? I mean, you clearly have plenty of time to "waste" on instructing future and current med students via electronic media, so you're not exactly presenting a solid position on this matter.

For those PM me, I already sent out my info. Feel free to call/email me for any questions.

skeptical-hippo-1.jpg

Not only am I skeptical, but I'm also a little creeped out. "serious people only" and "i don't have time to waste"? Dude, it's med school, the best advice you can get for the first two years is to study a lot and try to maintain your sanity. The only time mentorship really is semi-useful is fourth year when you're trying to figure out how to apply to residencies and such, and by then you'll have plenty of med school professors/ clinicians there to help you make a decision about which places to apply to. The only reason to ask a radiology resident for help would be if you're applying to radiology residencies and you went to his same med school.You'll find those people AT YOUR MED SCHOOL. Especially when the OP answered the question "why did you go into radiology?" by saying that it was right for him, and that "you'd find what's right for you". Well, it's all so clear now.

Not to mention the fact that most (good) med schools have a ton of advising/mentorship things in place. At my school, I have a "big sister", a fourth year student advisor, and 2 faculty advisors. If and when I pick a specialty, I'll have about a zillion people to ask for help, including the people involved in that specialty's interest group and their faculty advisors.

So really guys, don't worry. You'll likely have more people giving you advice than you can handle. People at other med schools aren't really all that useful when it comes to specific help with academics anyway.

Let's ignore the obvious irony of this statement for a second and assume that you really are some sort of guiding light in a haze of misinformation. Why would you not share your thoughts publicly and set everyone straight? Like others have said, the whole purpose for this site is to create a hub of information for people interested or involved in health professions. I'm not sure what reason people would have to go out of their respective ways to get in touch with you and you only when you could just post in threads. Perhaps you have some ulterior motivation for wanting to keep things private? I mean, you clearly have plenty of time to "waste" on instructing future and current med students via electronic media, so you're not exactly presenting a solid position on this matter.

hahahaha what a jerk you are... someone is trying to offer their time to help another person and you sit here criticizing them.... you and your 10,000 posts... he's trying to do a good thing here and he can do it however he wants, personally I think it's much better instead of posting on a forum where 90% of the pre-meds think they have all the answers when they don't....

don't criticize people that are just trying to help especially when you're a pre-med and he's done with med school

hahahaha what a jerk you are... someone is trying to offer their time to help another person and you sit here criticizing them.... you and your 10,000 posts... he's trying to do a good thing here and he can do it however he wants, personally I think it's much better instead of posting on a forum where 90% of the pre-meds think they have all the answers when they don't....

don't criticize people that are just trying to help especially when you're a pre-med and he's done with med school

There's some question about the OP's legitimacy as a medical student/resident. If this person is, in fact, who s/he says s/he is, s/he is offering a service that could be of interest to many premeds; however, caution should be taken in situations like this. Calling anyone who calls the OP's statements into question a jerk is a bit naive, IMO. It is unfortunate that those questions must be asked, however, as I too would be interested in a close mentor/mentee relationship such as this. I have my doubts, however.

I just dont know what to make of his grammar. Im not a grammar master myself, but it seems every other sentence he writes needs work. Maybe we can all mentor OP in grammar.

he's trying to do a good thing here and he can do it however he wants, personally I think it's much better instead of posting on a forum where 90% of the pre-meds think they have all the answers when they don't....

Critical thinking is a wonderful skill sometimes, you know?

For what it's worth, I think the vast majority of posters here have something useful/valuable to contribute. The people who don't know what's going on are usually the ones asking questions. That's sort of the point of this place.

So really guys, don't worry. You'll likely have more people giving you advice than you can handle. People at other med schools aren't really all that useful when it comes to specific help with academics anyway.
Yes.

lol muffeoniv can't see your status that says medical student for some reason...

Perhaps muffeoniv is blind... or just very near-sighted.

It's ok, though, we can fix that:

MilkmanAl
Medical Student

I hope that helps (you're welcome, muffy)

Umm.. he/she is going to charge a fee for this service.. am I the only one who got that out of the post?

2. I'll give you my name, my phone number, school email, etc...and even places I'm going to interview if you're around so we can chat. You can call me and email, whatever convenient for both. Probably email works better for me. We'll contact regularly to monitor your progress.

It's true guys, you can't miss him.

pedobear-free-candy-van_00.jpg

Hi all,

A good physician should learn how to trust and honesty at first.

Thanks for your interests in this thread. I received a number of PM and I already answered some. I can't take anymore mentees. I sent email to all future mentees and we'll see how it work. As I said in my email, I don't ask anything in return. That's it.

Some of you checked my grammar. You're right. English is not my first language but I made it to undergrad and medical school, and I'll make it through radiology residency and fellowship.

This is my last post in this thread. If this mentorship wokrs out, then my mentees will post answer here.