Looking for post-bacc advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mlc1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice regarding a post-bacc program. I have decided kind of later in the game to attend medical school. I have kind of designed my education up to this point for a career in research, but after working in the industry, I know my heart is elsewhere with medicine. So, I plan to work toward the medical school route, specifically looking at DO schools.

Here are my stats: 3.48 cGPA and 3.31 sGPA. My grades aren’t terrible for DO schools, but my issue is that I have no medical experience, only research. I am currently in my 4th year of research experience. I am working full-time for a medical diagnostics company as a research technician in the R&D department. I’ll also note that I graduated in May with a B.S. in Microbiology.

My question is: should I apply to a post-bacc without having any medical experience? Or do I need to work on obtaining medical/volunteer experience before even applying to a post-bacc? I would also like to note that the post-bacc I am looking into is not one to improve my grades - it is designed to give an insight into medical school level curriculum and experiences. Anyway, all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.