Looking for some clarity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADN2DNP

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is necessarily the right spot to post this, so if I'm in the wrong spot I apologize in advance. I'm a nurse practitioner (FNP) student who is interested in joining the air force as a fnp. I plan on doing a fellowship in primary/rural/emegency medicine after graduation to get some more experience under my belt to be a bit more competitive and knowledgeable before practice. My question would be, since im a licensed RN, would I ever be required to work in that capacity? Thanks for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of advanced practice nurses in the military, and they generally are not used as ward or clinic RNs. I would expect that if you join as an APN that you'll do that job. We are generally short staffed when it comes to all kinds of APNs. However, as with all things in the military, an individual's mileage may vary.

The nurse corps is run a lot differently than the medical corps, and to be honest we don't have a lot of nurses on this forum to give firsthand answers to you.

As an aside, doctors do internships, residencies, and fellowships; doctors take board exams. These words have very specific meanings and generations of history behind them. There's been a trend in recent years for nurses to apply these terms to portions of their training, in a deliberate and cynical effort to blur the lines between their training and physician training. It's fundamentally dishonest and offensive.

I'm sure that's not your personal intent. I'm also sure the program you're planning on completing refers to itself as a "fellowship" and advertises itself as such. Just be aware that 100% of physicians, when they hear nurses refer to "fellowships" or "residencies" they've completed, or "boards" they've taken, feel some mixture of disbelief, irritation, contempt, or less charitable things.

Nurses take certification or licensing exams; they complete degree programs and training programs. These things have merit in their own right and you should be proud of them. Don't call them residencies or fellowships.

Reactions: 1 user
There are lots of advanced practice nurses in the military, and they generally are not used as ward or clinic RNs. I would expect that if you join as an APN that you'll do that job. We are generally short staffed when it comes to all kinds of APNs. However, as with all things in the military, an individual's mileage may vary.

The nurse corps is run a lot differently than the medical corps, and to be honest we don't have a lot of nurses on this forum to give firsthand answers to you.

As an aside, doctors do internships, residencies, and fellowships; doctors take board exams. These words have very specific meanings and generations of history behind them. There's been a trend in recent years for nurses to apply these terms to portions of their training, in a deliberate and cynical effort to blur the lines between their training and physician training. It's fundamentally dishonest and offensive.

I'm sure that's not your personal intent. I'm also sure the program you're planning on completing refers to itself as a "fellowship" and advertises itself as such. Just be aware that 100% of physicians, when they hear nurses refer to "fellowships" or "residencies" they've completed, or "boards" they've taken, feel some mixture of disbelief, irritation, contempt, or less charitable things.

Nurses take certification or licensing exams; they complete degree programs and training programs. These things have merit in their own right and you should be proud of them. Don't call them residencies or fellowships.

Sorry I wasn't trying to offend. Just so I know in the future, what would I refer to this program as? Also thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advanced training.

I think the military is a pretty good place to be a NP if you really want to be completely independent. I’d be shocked if they made you work as an RN. But as mentioned, nurse corps is a different animal. It may behave nothing like medical corps. Dental corps is completely different in the Army in many respects. I imagine nurse corps is as well.

Advanced training.

I think the military is a pretty good place to be a NP if you really want to be completely independent. I’d be shocked if they made you work as an RN. But as mentioned, nurse corps is a different animal. It may behave nothing like medical corps. Dental corps is completely different in the Army in many respects. I imagine nurse corps is as well.

Perhaps it might not be that great of an idea for me then. I dont think I'd like to be completely independent. I know my instructors and nurse practitioners preach independent practice, but I would like to have a physician to bounce ideas off of if needed. I know that your training is more in-depth and thats valuable to my position. Again thanks for all the advice, I did contact an air force recruiter so I'll see what they say as well. Also I'll try to reach out to the nurse corps.

That was a very gracious response. One I can take a lesson from.

Perhaps it might not be that great of an idea for me then. I dont think I'd like to be completely independent. I know my instructors and nurse practitioners preach independent practice, but I would like to have a physician to bounce ideas off of if needed. I know that your training is more in-depth and thats valuable to my position. Again thanks for all the advice, I did contact an air force recruiter so I'll see what they say as well. Also I'll try to reach out to the nurse corps.

Truth be told...an argument could be made that a GMO straight out of internship could also use an attending to bounce ideas off of if needed. The military has drawn the line in the sand regarding bare minimal aptitude to manage patients...and sometimes that’s even independent duty corpsman.

Reactions: 1 user
I would try the forums at allnurses.com they have several nurses in the reserves and Army National Guard and Air Force Reserves/Guard you could ask this question of. As others have said the nurse corps and medical corps and medical service corps and dental corps all have different ways of doing things.