Looking for Telepsychiatry Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilPsychDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been a viewer of these forums for many years and have found an abundance of valuable information over the years.

I'm now preparing for transitioning into my "real world job" and looking for potential help. I have about 2 years left of my military commitment, but I am considering dabbling into some telepsychiatry opportunities while serving this time. I have some experience with telepsychiatry through my residency and military duties, however I envision having a greater percentage of my work being through telepsychiatry in the future. Ideally I would like to do 5 - 10 hours weekly in telepsychiatry with the opportunity of transitioning to full-time in a couple years. I prefer the continuity of care allowed by outpatient setting, however I wouldn't mind doing other telepsychiatry needs. I am board-certified in psychiatry and licensed in Nebraska, but I am open to getting licensure in any state, if needed.

In doing research online, I see numerous companies that have opportunities, however I have not been able to gather any individual reports from other psychiatrists how the job really is.

I appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I've been a viewer of these forums for many years and have found an abundance of valuable information over the years.

I'm now preparing for transitioning into my "real world job" and looking for potential help. I have about 2 years left of my military commitment, but I am considering dabbling into some telepsychiatry opportunities while serving this time. I have some experience with telepsychiatry through my residency and military duties, however I envision having a greater percentage of my work being through telepsychiatry in the future. Ideally I would like to do 5 - 10 hours weekly in telepsychiatry with the opportunity of transitioning to full-time in a couple years. I prefer the continuity of care allowed by outpatient setting, however I wouldn't mind doing other telepsychiatry needs. I am board-certified in psychiatry and licensed in Nebraska, but I am open to getting licensure in any state, if needed.

In doing research online, I see numerous companies that have opportunities, however I have not been able to gather any individual reports from other psychiatrists how the job really is.

I appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

There is a lot of information out there. I would definitely interview and check out it is very state/region dependent. I have done it full time and part time over the years, but I got burnt out doing it full time, never leaving my home office. lol. You tend to start to feel more isolated after time, and feel its just you, the computer and the phone. However it still beats commuting 9 to 5. I found for me the perfect mix was some telepsych mixed with some in person duties. Lot of prison/correction work needs in telepsych. Lots of VA work allow it , however many want you to go into a central Hub to do it, so not truly telepsych from home. When interviewing or exploring ask them about part time offers as well since you may want to do some in person work as well once in a while.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a lot of information out there. I would definitely interview and check out it is very state/region dependent. I have done it full time and part time over the years, but I got burnt out doing it full time, never leaving my home office. lol. You tend to start to feel more isolated after time, and feel its just you, the computer and the phone. However it still beats commuting 9 to 5. I found for me the perfect mix was some telepsych mixed with some in person duties. Lot of prison/correction work needs in telepsych. Lots of VA work allow it , however many want you to go into a central Hub to do it, so not truly telepsych from home. When interviewing or exploring ask them about part time offers as well since you may want to do some in person work as well once in a while.

Any idea what current going rates are and do you see them going up/down in the next five or so years?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This question comes up a lot. For the most up to date information you should contact these companies directly and get a quote comparison. I've done this approximately 10 months ago, and the high numbers are still hovering around $150/hr, which IMHO sucks. The payer mix is suboptimal is the issue. I think there'll not be dramatic shifts in salary for jobs at large facilities or large private groups (Insight telepsych, etc) as I just don't see how public funding for mental health will increase dramatically despite all the rhetoric.

OTOH, telepsychiatry is burgeoning in private practice both in terms of pay and in demand (those two are linked). I think a lot of private med management services will be internet based in the future, but I don't see how this is any different from building any other kind of private practice. In general private practice in psychiatry has had a very good decade and we would have reason to believe that it'll continue to grow, as people are increasing willing to spend money to optimize their mental health and stigma of medication decreasing...

Last edited:
Any idea what current going rates are and do you see them going up/down in the next five or so years?

Telepsych rates are usually lower than in-person rates. The convenience of working from home attracts people. I’ve seen many accept $120/hr, so many companies hope to scoop up these psychiatrists. With good negotiation skills and looking around $160 is doable.

It's very hard to do 15 min med checks by telepsych. You still have to fax lab orders, papers they need completed, are completely dependant on the staff checking in/out patients and doing your vitals. In the office, I get my patients myself and ask questions as I check vitals. With telepsyc, the staff often aren't getting them into the room until 5-9 minutes of the 15 minute session has passed.

It's very hard to do 15 min med checks by telepsych. You still have to fax lab orders, papers they need completed, are completely dependant on the staff checking in/out patients and doing your vitals. In the office, I get my patients myself and ask questions as I check vitals. With telepsyc, the staff often aren't getting them into the room until 5-9 minutes of the 15 minute session has passed.

this is so true. Many times things are disorganized and lost and simple cases that should be at most 15 min, can take up to an hour, due to faxing, labs, the patient went out to get a smoke, bathroom, or even the assistant disappeared for some reason is on a phone call and you are stuck waiting and waiting,

Usually telepsych pays per hour. Correctional telepsych could be good in that u may only see a few as it may take time for the COs to bring them in. I would check out the facebook telepsych group. I have heard of 170.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Usually telepsych pays per hour. Correctional telepsych could be good in that u may only see a few as it may take time for the COs to bring them in. I would check out the facebook telepsych group. I have heard of 170.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Most correctional telepsych you have to be in actual office though (i.e. can't do it from home).

Anybody can please give recent reviews on telepsych companies? So many comes up on google, don't know much about them but just wanted to try my hands on telepsych. I would love the flexibility of it and need more money ofcourse! not doing too good in private group as a contractor. Thank you.

Are there any moonlighting opportunities for Telepsych for a 4th year resident?