Looking for websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeDerm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any websites out there with good statistics on probability of getting certain residencies with certain GPA's from medical school? It would be nice to also have COMLEX/USMLE scores.
I have tried googling to no avail.
Also if there are any .pdf's anyone has I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that your best resource, really, for figuring out where you ought to apply is whoever at your school is responsible for monitoring residency placements, chatting up residency directors to see what they're looking for, etc. Meeting benchmark GPA and board scores are important in terms of passing the first review, but other factors - research, extracurriculars, how you click with people during interviews/your audition rotation are very significant too from what I've heard. Stats can't really tell you all that, and having a to-the-point, professional meeting with someone who knows your whole file is probably going to be more accurate/relevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
My issue with NRMP / match data is that it never tells me what I really want to know. You can still get a lot of good information out of it (and the attached HockeyDr spreasheet) but for example # of research experiences... that could mean anything from a summer washing glassware during undergrad to a first-author in Nature. And just because you have a mean Step 1 score with standard deviations for all programs in specialty X doesn't tell you what scores the residents in any given program had.

I've gotten a ton of great information through personal contacts, SDN, advisors. You can get more information about specific programs on scutwork.com although I haven't seen Step scores posted.

Attachments

• HockeyDrs Massive Spreadsheet with 2011 NMRP Data final (Newest Spreadsheet) (1) (1).xlsx
    80.6 KB · Views: 102
Thanks guys. I an a first year and have only be in school for a little over two months so as I'm taking tests frequently, I just kinda wanted to know a number of where I should be to be with the average group.
Thanks for those resources!
My experience with getting into medical school was having a great application including everything except my MCAT score and it made the 'getting interviews' part of med school really tough.
I assumed the residency process would be the same way.

Thanks guys. I an a first year and have only be in school for a little over two months so as I'm taking tests frequently, I just kinda wanted to know a number of where I should be to be with the average group.
Thanks for those resources!
My experience with getting into medical school was having a great application including everything except my MCAT score and it made the 'getting interviews' part of med school really tough.
I assumed the residency process would be the same way.

MCAT and comlex scores don't correlate. There tend to be a lot of variables between junior year of college and 2nd year of medical school. If you're traditional, then you should've matured a bit more, and you're going to be immersed in medicine, and not so much in obscure stuff like orgo. Your thought process should evolve, but you need to start learning how to answer exam questions to which you don't know the answer. That's the key to the boards. I know several people who scored average on MCAT, worked hard in med school, and got 90th+ percentiles on boards. Be diligent and success will attend your efforts.

MCAT and comlex scores don't correlate. There tend to be a lot of variables between junior year of college and 2nd year of medical school. If you're traditional, then you should've matured a bit more, and you're going to be immersed in medicine, and not so much in obscure stuff like orgo. Your thought process should evolve, but you need to start learning how to answer exam questions to which you don't know the answer. That's the key to the boards. I know several people who scored average on MCAT, worked hard in med school, and got 90th+ percentiles on boards. Be diligent and success will attend your efforts.
Thanks Trogghunter!
I think I will be successful because my school has a very high pass rate and a good ranking in many fields so I know they prepare us well.
I used MCAT as an example of how much a test score was a big factor of getting into med school and I was wondering if GPA was a big factor about getting a residency.
Even with my almost perfect GPA my MCAT still held me back and I don't want my GPA holding me back from getting a residency.
I am fearful after seeing headlines that there are not enough residency spots and I do NOT want to end up being one of those people!
And honestly...I am not interested in research at all, at least not the typical lab work kind.
Thanks for the input everyone!

"Chart 1 shows the number of active applicants (applicants who submitted rank order lists of programs) by applicant type. U.S. allopathic medical school seniors constitute 54.1 percent of the applicants in this report. The next largest group is non-U.S. citizen students and graduates of international medical schools (21.8%). For the remainder of this report, all applicants who are not U.S. allopathic seniors will be grouped into the "independent applicants" category."

"Moreover, because independent applicants match to their preferred specialties at much lower rates than do U.S. seniors,"

Can someone please give me a more specific explanation of independent applicant vs. U.S. senior? I understand allopathic medical students are U.S. seniors and I'm looking at the pie graph on the link supplied on page 2 and I see osteopathic students listed.
I am hoping we aren't a part of the independent applications category that has a much lower rate of matching, at least in the Family Medicine data supplied.

"Chart 1 shows the number of active applicants (applicants who submitted rank order lists of programs) by applicant type. U.S. allopathic medical school seniors constitute 54.1 percent of the applicants in this report. The next largest group is non-U.S. citizen students and graduates of international medical schools (21.8%). For the remainder of this report, all applicants who are not U.S. allopathic seniors will be grouped into the "independent applicants" category."

"Moreover, because independent applicants match to their preferred specialties at much lower rates than do U.S. seniors,"

Can someone please give me a more specific explanation of independent applicant vs. U.S. senior? I understand allopathic medical students are U.S. seniors and I'm looking at the pie graph on the link supplied on page 2 and I see osteopathic students listed.
I am hoping we aren't a part of the independent applications category that has a much lower rate of matching, at least in the Family Medicine data supplied.
yes, osteopathic grads are part of that category. Anyone besides a U.S. allopathic senior is considered "independent." But if you look at Chart 1 you'll see that DOs are heavily outnumbered by IMG's thus skewing the data for "independent applicants." If you want DO specific data that combines ACGME and AOA matches the best resource I'm aware of is hockeydr's spreadsheet.