soon2bdoc2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Status
After 2yrs + 35 days in the same hospital I am starting to feel like I am not ready to settle into any kind of long term employment for the next couple of years. I am thinking to do some locum work for a year or 2 while I decide at least what part of the country i want to work in. Any of you young attendings have any advice for me?? I contacted a few recruiters but right now I'm not even sure what state i want to practice in. For now I have applied for licenses in texas, nevada and new york.

Monty Python

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Nowhere particular
soon2bdoc2003 said:
After 2yrs + 35 days in the same hospital I am starting to feel like I am not ready to settle into any kind of long term employment for the next couple of years. I am thinking to do some locum work for a year or 2 while I decide at least what part of the country i want to work in. Any of you young attendings have any advice for me?? I contacted a few recruiters but right now I'm not even sure what state i want to practice in. For now I have applied for licenses in texas, nevada and new york.
-- the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. Just don't leap before you look and never burn a bridge with a hasty, undiplomatic departure from your present location.

-- once out of training and you become settled into the daily routine of anesthesia practice, it does tend to occasionally become, well, routine. Are you feeling restless? Maybe your intellectual side needs a different type of stimulation, such as research, teaching, etc.

-- if your personal/family life allows, I think locums is a good way to get the wanderlust out of your system, see different parts of the country as a locums on someone else's expense account, and it's also a great way to do a subtle, long-term review of a new, potential permanent employment

-- if you don't mind a slightly reduced income, have you considered the VA? Once in the system, you can transfer between different hospitals within their nationwide system without any loss of seniority or accrued benefits.

About the Ads