PhD Looking into PhD programs and running into problems looking for faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpflash100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the main reasons that I am pursuing a PhD program is to fill a large research gap (Maternal Mortality and Morbidity in MENAP; mostly Farsi-speaking areas though). But, there's a large gap there because not many people are researching it, which makes finding faculty to talk to, and eventually work with, very difficult. I know to look at faculty that are working in global maternal health, or working around the Middle East, but any other ideas? What about faculty from other disciplines - Nursing/Anthropology/International Policy?

Thanks,
RP

Members don't see this ad.

You could ask the faculty at your current program/school to see if they know of any other professors/researchers from different places. I think asking people in other disciplines could be helpful too, depending on which angle you're interested in. While not focused on the Middle East/Farsi-speaking populations, Dr. Terry at UPittsburgh is both part of the MCH department and Anthropology department; there are probably other faculty members at other schools who also have a dual interest (especially at places that have both a Public Health program or school AND a center for Middle Eastern studies! here's a link for Harvard's: http://cmes.fas.harvard.edu/people/research-field/public-health).

Schools that have big Global Health departments/emphasis could be good places to look at as well.

Thank you. I am working with a Nursing Professor at my current school, that did her PhD at Harvard, in my field. I appreciate your input; I guess I was confused about the importance of finding someone in SPH that has a research interest that aligns with mine. I will look into more faculty with dual appointments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I am working with a Nursing Professor at my current school, that did her PhD at Harvard, in my field. I appreciate your input; I guess I was confused about the importance of finding someone in SPH that has a research interest that aligns with mine. I will look into more faculty with dual appointments.

Every school will differ, but it isn't mandatory to have your main adviser be in the same department as you--as long as the degree granting school/college allows it. For instance, you can graduate with an epi degree but your chair/adviser could have a primary appointment in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
The advice given once to me and which may be helpful in your case, is to not only consider a program based on who your advisor might be. I had a research topic that virtually nobody else worked on and I based my decision to ender a grad program on the fact that my advisor researched a related topic. Perhaps you won't find an advisor that studies exactly what you are looking to do, but if you can find one that will give you the skills and guide you in a way that would allow you to do what you want, that might be just as good. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would don't think you necessarily need an expert in the field to carve out your own niche. Also, professors in anthropology or other disciplines would likely come at the problem from a much different perspective and their methods, approaches, etc. will be different from those in public health. And having just completed several years of post-grad work in sociology, I think unless you went in from the outset with a sort of interdisciplinary approach that your committee could get on board with, your training will vary quite significantly.

Reactions: 1 user