Looking like a C in Genetics... Need some input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1badz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am taking a Genetics course that I am having trouble with. It is one of those rare instances where the professor really does blow. It is a 50min class, where 20-30min is spent telling bad jokes and irrelevant stories. He just goes over some power points that he has for every semester and that is pretty much it. No indication of what to look or study for, nothing. He does not assign a specific book (which is no problem, I have had classes like this before). You just basically have to synthesize the material yourself, which again is fine. So I spend hours on end reading through the book, watching videos on related material, going over his power points, etc. Then his tests come up and they have absolutely nothing to do with what I have been studying for. This is not just me, it is a trend throughout the entire 400+ student class. Averages on the first three tests so far are in the low 70's. I wish I could say I do not understand the information and that it why I am suffering, but that is not the case. I love bio and genetics and actually see it as one of my strong points. I have never gotten a C and it is looking like I may get one in Genetics this semester AND in Calculus (I have a strong dislike for mathematics). Any input would be appreciated. Is it worth re-taking the class at a different school (since he is the only one teaching Genetics at my school)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If a lot of people are doing poorly in your Genetics class, then it might be curved. The best you can do right now is keep studying and then go to your professors' office hours. As for calc, utilize a tutor if you really need help, and again, see your professor during office hours. Make sure you're doing as many practice problems as you can get your hands on.

That being said, one or two C's wont completely destroy you, especially if the rest of your grades are good. If you'll be continuing on to other courses in which calculus and/or genetics is a pre-requisite, and if you feel like you didn't understand the material very well, then I would re-take it. Otherwise, it's not worth it...you don't want to seem like you're padding your GPA with unnecessary re-takes. Move on and do well in everything else.

This is probably against your school's honor code but the best thing to do may be to obtain exams from the previous year. Chances are that the questions may not vary greatly and the format should stay the same. If you're a moral person, then you can at least ask friends who have taken the class previously for tips on what to focus on. Or you can look up exams on the internet that are similar to the one you have had and solve those as practice. Having a terrible teacher is something most people go through and it's really up to you to learn the material if you want to succeed. One C won't kill you but if it's really as big of a problem as you make it out to be, it might be best to take it at a different school, perhaps during the summer. I believe that most schools don't require it so it shouldn't be that big of an issue although you will most likely be asked to explain the W.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies. I just do not know what to do at this point. I will just continue through the semester and see what happens. A curve is unlikely, but who knows. Not sure if it is worth re-taking the class at another school next semester (or summer). I grasp the material pretty well and fully understand what I am studying. Just seems that his questions are purposely misleading and do not necessarily correlate with what we are studying.

Hey all. I am taking a Genetics course that I am having trouble with. It is one of those rare instances where the professor really does blow. It is a 50min class, where 20-30min is spent telling bad jokes and irrelevant stories. He just goes over some power points that he has for every semester and that is pretty much it. No indication of what to look or study for, nothing. He does not assign a specific book (which is no problem, I have had classes like this before). You just basically have to synthesize the material yourself, which again is fine. So I spend hours on end reading through the book, watching videos on related material, going over his power points, etc. Then his tests come up and they have absolutely nothing to do with what I have been studying for. This is not just me, it is a trend throughout the entire 400+ student class. Averages on the first three tests so far are in the low 70's. I wish I could say I do not understand the information and that it why I am suffering, but that is not the case. I love bio and genetics and actually see it as one of my strong points. I have never gotten a C and it is looking like I may get one in Genetics this semester AND in Calculus (I have a strong dislike for mathematics). Any input would be appreciated. Is it worth re-taking the class at a different school (since he is the only one teaching Genetics at my school)?

Thank you!

College requires a lot of self-learning. Develop some drive to get that "A," by self-learning, or start thinking DO/caribbean. I never got much from lecture in undergrad, other than what topics to focus on. Read the lecture notes before class - so better understand lecture. Its not hard bud.

College requires a lot of self-learning. Develop some drive to get that "A," by self-learning, or start thinking DO/caribbean. I never got much from lecture in undergrad, other than what topics to focus on. Read the lecture notes before class - so better understand lecture. Its not hard bud.

I guess you missed what I said. The self-learning is not the issue. I have had classes like that in the past and have done well. Not to toot my own horn but I have gotten A's in everything so far except for a B+ in a lab. I understand what material I should read and I do just that. When it comes to the test though, it seems like everything I read (and even his notes in class) was a complete waste because there is little to no correlation. Thank you for your input nonetheless.

Thank you for the replies. I just do not know what to do at this point. I will just continue through the semester and see what happens. A curve is unlikely, but who knows. Not sure if it is worth re-taking the class at another school next semester (or summer). I grasp the material pretty well and fully understand what I am studying. Just seems that his questions are purposely misleading and do not necessarily correlate with what we are studying.

Can you go meet with the prof and see where you went wrong on your test?

I guess you missed what I said. The self-learning is not the issue. I have had classes like that in the past and have done well. Not to toot my own horn but I have gotten A's in everything so far except for a B+ in a lab. I understand what material I should read and I do just that. When it comes to the test though, it seems like everything I read (and even his notes in class) was a complete waste because there is little to no correlation. Thank you for your input nonetheless.

I guess I just don't get how he could test on stuff with "little to no correlation" to the material?

Talk with the professor, problem solved

Man this professor must be quite the G. Teach one thing and then test on something completely different. If I'm ever a professor I hope I have half the balls he does.

If he is testing you on material that is not listed in the curriculum, I would strongly consider challenging the grade.

Members don't see this ad :)

i completely agree with you dude, im taking genetics right now and we learn all this stuff in lecture that makes total sense. I read the book, re-watch lectures, take notes, do literally all the problems in the back and then the exam comes and its just completely RANDOM stuff

i completely agree with you dude, im taking genetics right now and we learn all this stuff in lecture that makes total sense. I read the book, re-watch lectures, take notes, do literally all the problems in the back and then the exam comes and its just completely RANDOM stuff

Thanks. I suppose it all depends on the professor.

As far as challenging the grade/speaking with him... The guy has been there for EONS. He has quite the reputation for being nasty and holding a grudge if you come speak to him insinuating that what he is doing makes no sense and his teaching (if you even want to call it that) does not do anything. I self-read very well actually. I enjoy what I am learning in genetics and fully understand it. It is very hard to explain my predicament. The tests are questions that he makes up himself that are purposely misleading. His reviews on RMP all say the same thing (he has a low 2.something rating). While I appreciate everyones input on how I should try and succeed in the class, this will more than likely not happen. He has been there forever and can pretty much (and has done this almost every year) get away with anything. I doubt we can change his antics. He is your typical case of a miserable old man. My question was a bigger one. Just seeing if others have gone through something similar and have still succeeded in getting into medical schools. :cool:

What year are you? Any chance you can take another upper level bio course to show that you can improve?
I got a C in cell bio my senior year. I spoke to the ADCOM at one school and they told me that this course and grade and the timing is what prevented me from getting in to their school. But I did end up getting accepted elsewhere. So it may break you, at certain places.
Just try your best to have an upward trend from here on out. Otherwise, think about a post bac.

If he is testing you on material that is not listed in the curriculum, I would strongly consider challenging the grade.

Let me give you an example. This past test (yesterday actually), we were supposed to be tested on Gene regulation (transcriptional/translation control, the lac operon, tcp operon, RNAi, etc). Relatively simple stuff, I know it all like the back of my hand. While I got all of those questions correct on the test, he ALSO threw in about 6 heritability questions on which I did NOT look over whatsoever. Why should I? It is not in the curriculum for this exam and not a single word was mentioned in lecture or his notes. Those 6 questions I probably did not do so well, resulting in a grade that I am not proud of. Kind of messed up. Talking to him about it will only make matters worse (like I said, he is a very spiteful kind of guy), and talking to the head of department won't help either because he IS the head of department. Also the only one in that department. :laugh:

What year are you? Any chance you can take another upper level bio course to show that you can improve?
I got a C in cell bio my senior year. I spoke to the ADCOM at one school and they told me that this course and grade and the timing is what prevented me from getting in to their school. But I did end up getting accepted elsewhere. So it may break you, at certain places.
Just try your best to have an upward trend from here on out. Otherwise, think about a post bac.

I am in my junior year. I have plenty of credits to fulfill before I graduate. I still need to take cell bio, physio, biochem, orgo 2, etc. May even take Evolution or something to that effect. I could very well be overreacting but you have to understand, up to this point I have been a straight A student with maybe one or two B+'s total. It is a real downer...

obviously everyone'situation will be different (ie house vs god's comment above) but if my exerience gives you a bit of hope then here goes: My only C in college was my junior year in Genetics. I went on to get A's and B's my senior year. In my 6 interviews, my C did not come up once- and I was eventually accepted by these schools. If it is one of your few weak spots amongst a strong application I doubt that one C would make much of a difference to the majority of schools. However, I did go to these interviews prepared to explain myself in a mature manner that reflected what I learned from the experience and I suggest you do the same. Take steps to do the best you can in the class, and jot down some thoughtful notes that you could use in the future about what you are learning from the experience. Basically try to find a way to use this annoying circumstance you find yourself in to demonstrate your maturity.

S had a similar situation last semester. Was seriously considering a W. He meet with professor who assured him he would do alright. Told him that if he continued working as hard as he had been he should have no problem getting a B. Professor then discussed some things to help him understand and study. S buckled down, studied hard and pulled an A out of the class. The curve did make a big difference. S wasn't used to getting those kinds of scores either but it worked out for him.

Thank you!

I wouldn't mind that. My genetics professor just reads the slides out to everybody word for word. He doesn't really elaborate either, which makes for super boring lectures. I only go to class because of the random quizzes. Like others have said though, one C wont kill you.

Hey. I posted the exact same topic after my first 2 genetics tests on Student Doctor, too.

I studied VERY hard for my last test, sucked up at office hours, and did okay on the final.... Came out with a B+

You can do it too 8)

Thanks for the replies everyone! May be getting a B after all. My last test next week will determine that. I just cannot wait for this semester to be over :D

Test averages in the low 70's are almost exactly where they should be, i.e. the tests aren't that hard. It'd be different if it was like 40's or 50's; then you could make the claim that he wasn't teaching the material he was testing.

At my state school, the curve seems to be set with the mean at a B-/C+ as opposed to a C-. It's probably like this at a lot of other places. I think the mean for our three mid-terms were like 67, 74, and 82. Other non mid-term elements helped to bring the course mean up.

Genetics was a lot more demanding than what other students told me. It was one pure data dump. We had this guest lecturer who came in to talk about cytogenetic, linkage, and physical mapping --> 70+ powerpoint slides of the driest and most technically difficult crap all semester. Another one came in to talk about quantitative genetics, and she had so many slides, she couldn't even finish 2/3's of them in 90 minutes. By far, genetics was tougher than the Intro Bio series.

Last edited:
If the professor doesn't write the problems well, genetics problems on multiple choice tests can be hard. It's important to use clear language when writing these questions, IMO. More so than other biology questions anyway.

I do have to say that if the test averages are in the low 70's, somebody is probably getting high 90's A's. What are they doing that you're not? I think about it like this: If I'm not the highest scoring student in the class, I can't blame a bad grade on the course. If someone can get an A, you can too.

wow that sucks bro, i beasted this last genetics test w over 100 percent, and i had 2 other hard sciences tests on the same day. Still have All A's in my 100% science course load this semester thank god...:xf:

Well the class is about 400 people (on the days of the exam anyway), so it is tough to proctor everyone. It has been reported that MANY students are cheating, to the point where the professor is even toying with the idea of a reward system for those who single out the cheaters. It is pretty disgusting to see people who just want a grade and know absolutely nothing about the material do so well, then there are those who study legitimately and actually grasp the concepts, score much lower. Oh well, just need to power through the last exam next week and potentially receive a B- or B.

Find students that are getting A's no the tests and ask them what they are doing to get those grades. Look at the tests you have taken already and see where the material came from. Did it come from the notes? From random questions at the end of each chapter? The material has to come from somewhere. Also, go ask your professor how you can successfully prepare for your tests. Ask them what the best way to study is. That is occasionally helpful.

Good luck.

Find students that are getting A's no the tests and ask them what they are doing to get those grades. Look at the tests you have taken already and see where the material came from. Did it come from the notes? From random questions at the end of each chapter? The material has to come from somewhere. Also, go ask your professor how you can successfully prepare for your tests. Ask them what the best way to study is. That is occasionally helpful.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I have spoken to the professor before in person and via email. I told him step by step what I do to prepare for each exam and his response was something to the effect of "that is exactly how I would suggest doing it". Only thing I can hope for is I do well on this next test (which should not be too bad - it is on obesity, epigenetic mechanisms, circadian rhythm, etc). I have come to the realization that one C will not kill me. Heck, this would be my first one and I know people in MD and DO schools that had a handful of C's during undergrad. Just need to play it by ear and hit the books hard. Thank you all for the insight!

How's Calc coming? (I may have missed it if you followed up on that.)

Is it Calc I? If so, what book are you using?

I'm taking it this semester and I'm making like a 100 average in there, so if we share a similar curricula, I have no problem emailing you my notes.

This is probably against your school's honor code but the best thing to do may be to obtain exams from the previous year. Chances are that the questions may not vary greatly and the format should stay the same. If you're a moral person, then you can at least ask friends who have taken the class previously for tips on what to focus on. Or you can look up exams on the internet that are similar to the one you have had and solve those as practice. Having a terrible teacher is something most people go through and it's really up to you to learn the material if you want to succeed. One C won't kill you but if it's really as big of a problem as you make it out to be, it might be best to take it at a different school, perhaps during the summer. I believe that most schools don't require it so it shouldn't be that big of an issue although you will most likely be asked to explain the W.

Are past exams for classes not available in the states?

i have been a in a situation like this before. people can easily put the burden on you and refuse to believe that the prof blows. i recommend get the W and take the class somewhere else. it'll cost money but that's the best you can do in this situation.

How's Calc coming? (I may have missed it if you followed up on that.)

Is it Calc I? If so, what book are you using?

I'm taking it this semester and I'm making like a 100 average in there, so if we share a similar curricula, I have no problem emailing you my notes.

Hello. Thank you very much for the response. Your gesture is appreciated but the semester is finally winding down. The book we are using is Calculus (Early Transscendentals 9th Ed.). I completely understand the concepts and fair well during homework and book problems. The problem is the tests she writes are about 10000x harder than what we do in class (which is the case with most professors). So I will do the problems and follow through until the end, but sometimes I will miss something here and there. For little things like that she will remove huge amounts of points. Her ratings online are in the low 2.0's. She actually "brags" that the majority drops her class and she only passes a small percentage. Not sure how she is still teaching to be honest. I take what I read on professor rating sites with a grain of salt, but this time around the reviews were on point. I just ended up with terrible profs this semester. I am a transfer student so I got last pick on all classes. I registered early for this summer and fall though so things should be way better :)

Omg a c... You should just give up right now :rollseyes: it's a c. Big deal.

I do have to say that if the test averages are in the low 70's, somebody is probably getting high 90's A's. What are they doing that you're not? I think about it like this: If I'm not the highest scoring student in the class, I can't blame a bad grade on the course. If someone can get an A, you can too.

I agree with this post.

I recall the 'average' for science courses being a 2.0 GPA or 'C.' Therefore, a 70% average on tests is above average and shows the class in general is doing well. Genetics encompassed classical genetics and molecular transcription and translation, at my university. A 'C' alone won't ruin your future in medicine. However, if you plan to take Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Genomes, etc.. Then that might be cause for some concern. Otherwise, in my opinion, strive for the best grade you can right now and move on.

...................... says teh DO student.

But I have 3 c's, a ****-ton of A's, and an MD MS0. I AM GOD.

That was completely unnecessary. You have no idea about my situation or my history.