Looking over patient profiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently on an APC appe and I was just thrown into looking at 25 patient profiles and being responsible for knowing certain things on rounds.

My concern is this: my preceptor didn't even sit with me and show me how to do this once. Tomorrow is my first round with them and I'm worried I won't know things I need to. That's all fine but I'm also upset that when I told my preceptor that I'm concerned this is taking me too long (it took me 5 hrs to gather the info I needed and I ended up finding a few problems) he laughed at me and told me that the resident needs to know 80 pts in 1.5 hrs daily.

How is this even possible? I'm worried that I made a huge mistake in picking rotations bc my next two are going to be apc and I can't get them changed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm currently on an APC appe and I was just thrown into looking at 25 patient profiles and being responsible for knowing certain things on rounds.

My concern is this: my preceptor didn't even sit with me and show me how to do this once. Tomorrow is my first round with them and I'm worried I won't know things I need to. That's all fine but I'm also upset that when I told my preceptor that I'm concerned this is taking me too long (it took me 5 hrs to gather the info I needed and I ended up finding a few problems) he laughed at me and told me that the resident needs to know 80 pts in 1.5 hrs daily.

How is this even possible? I'm worried that I made a huge mistake in picking rotations bc my next two are going to be apc and I can't get them changed.

That sounds crazy. I've been stuck with high patient loads before. If it's that high or higher, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to monitor EVERYTHING, but you should definitely look over every patient's profile and see if they are on any drugs that require the greatest amount of pharmacist intervention (anticoagulants, antibiotics, anything that requires levels, insulin) and see if those meds are appropriate. I think doing that would be a disservice to your learning, but there are some settings where that's all a pharmacist does in terms of pre-rounding, so might be appropriate when you have a high patient load.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, you are still a student. It will take time to learn what is important, what is routine, and where to find it all. What EMR are you using?

Ummm, I'm only hearing one side of the story (which yours), but if that's really the case, you need to formally email your experiential educational coordinator NOW (as in today on Sunday for a requested meeting tomorrow on Monday) with the general situation and discuss the matter with them and frame this exactly like that if what you wrote is the case. That's clearly abusive behavior on the preceptor's part, and it's dealt with severely if discovered.

Privately, I'd call BS on that. 80 beds by yourself? The night pharmacist maybe, but the hell that'd fly in a JC-accredited hospital by yourself.