LOR 3 or 4? (Applying IM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Applying IM this cycle. I have searched forums and not found an answer for this.

For Internal medicine, you are usually advised to have a Departmental Chair letter (sometimes these are not personal because the chair doesn't get to know all students).

For programs that say 3 letters, including the Chair letter, is it okay to send 4? Or would programs get annoyed and only select 3 at random to read?

My fourth letter would be a research letter. I know my first three are strong, but I don't want to be at a disadvantage by not sending a fourth letter when I have one (especially because my application is very average and I need all the help I can get).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Se
Hello everyone,

Applying IM this cycle. I have searched forums and not found an answer for this.

For Internal medicine, you are usually advised to have a Departmental Chair letter (sometimes these are not personal because the chair doesn't get to know all students).

For programs that say 3 letters, including the Chair letter, is it okay to send 4? Or would programs get annoyed and only select 3 at random to read?

My fourth letter would be a research letter. I know my first three are strong, but I don't want to be at a disadvantage by not sending a fourth letter when I have one (especially because my application is very average and I need all the help I can get).

Thoughts?

Upload 4 letters and assign them to all programs. Most applicants have good LoRs so they don't hurt your chances. However, an exceptional LoR can help you land IVs and can be a good conversation starter. Usually, the departmental letter is written by faculty who knows you and the chair signs it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Thoughts?

I've been looking up how many LOR's programs want and have only seen 3 so far (Chair + 2 IM dept letters). Do you know specific places so far that have wanted at least 4? Not counting the MSPE obviously.

Edit: I apologize for the thread hijack in advance haha.

Se

Upload 4 letters and assign them to all programs. Most applicants have good LoRs so they don't hurt your chances. However, an exceptional LoR can help you land IVs and can be a good conversation starter. Usually, the departmental letter is written by faculty who knows you and the chair signs it.
I've been looking up how many LOR's programs want and have only seen 3 so far (Chair + 2 IM dept letters). Do you know specific places so far that have wanted at least 4? Not counting the MSPE obviously.

Haha no probs! I haven't seen any that have asked for at least 4 on my list! I'm applying to mostly Midwest programs

Many Northeast programs ask for 3 LOR + 1 chair.

as tedious as this sounds- i looked on the programs websites for IM. Some have a "hard 3 letters only" (for example- VCU, Wake forest) while some allow 4. MGH says 3 but you can snail mail in extra letters if you want. No program that i saw "required" more than 1 chair + 2 other letters=3 total. most of my apps are east coast/southeast.

If you were a program director, will you throw out an application if there are 4 letters instead of 3? Doubtful. If you have 3 faculty that you trust, get 4 letters and upload them via ERAS. That's what I did and I didn't look up a single program in terms of how many letters they required.

If you only have 2 faculty who will write you strong letters, then send your 3 letters to programs that only require 3.

Letters do not have to be from IM faculty. I had one from department chair of orthopedic surgery. Sometimes, a strong LoR from a different specialty may shed light on your strengths from a different perspective. A good combination for most applicant is: department chair + 1 research + 2 clinical letters. If you don't have a strong research letter, then a more personal one from either a clinical faculty or non-clinical mentor (i.e. head of outreach program at your institution, etc) is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
If you were a program director, will you throw out an application if there are 4 letters instead of 3? Doubtful. If you have 3 faculty that you trust, get 4 letters and upload them via ERAS. That's what I did and I didn't look up a single program in terms of how many letters they required.

If you only have 2 faculty who will write you strong letters, then send your 3 letters to programs that only require 3.

Letters do not have to be from IM faculty. I had one from department chair of orthopedic surgery. Sometimes, a strong LoR from a different specialty may shed light on your strengths from a different perspective. A good combination for most applicant is: department chair + 1 research + 2 clinical letters. If you don't have a strong research letter, then a more personal one from either a clinical faculty or non-clinical mentor (i.e. head of outreach program at your institution, etc) is helpful.

Thanks very much for the great reply. How important is it to have 3 letters ready for the Sept 15th submission date? A lot of people have said it's okay if they get in by the time your MSPE does, but obviously would rather not be overlooked for something like this. Thanks for all the help.