LOR after clerkship rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpwsurf21

MS4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may not be the right section to post this in but...
Question regarding asking for LOR - as part of my 3rd year surgery clerkship, I rotated through a surgical subspecialty that I intend to apply to (knew that before the rotation). I got along great with the department and residents and luckily my written clerkship evals turned out very strong (ie "far and away one of the best medical students I've ever worked with, including those doing sub-internships").

My question is - do I ask for a LOR now from my department chair, whom I worked with the most, or do I wait until after I do my home sub-i in the summer? Seems silly but my thought process is that if you ask for a letter now, all the specific things that you did well are fresh in their mind when they write it. Then, after your sub-i, they can just update the previous letter that they wrote with new, and hopefully improved comments. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you want the letter written closer to ERAS opening but it could be a good idea to at least plant the seed in your dept chair's mind. It sounds like he'll be able to write you a great letter after your Sub-i

Reactions: 1 users
Let the writer know you'd like them to write for you, but mention that you are going to do a sub-I in a few months, and you'll need the letter by Sept 15. Then he/she can decide when to write it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may not be the right section to post this in but...
Question regarding asking for LOR - as part of my 3rd year surgery clerkship, I rotated through a surgical subspecialty that I intend to apply to (knew that before the rotation). I got along great with the department and residents and luckily my written clerkship evals turned out very strong (ie "far and away one of the best medical students I've ever worked with, including those doing sub-internships").

My question is - do I ask for a LOR now from my department chair, whom I worked with the most, or do I wait until after I do my home sub-i in the summer? Seems silly but my thought process is that if you ask for a letter now, all the specific things that you did well are fresh in their mind when they write it. Then, after your sub-i, they can just update the previous letter that they wrote with new, and hopefully improved comments. Thoughts?
Pro tip: this ain't their first rodeo. Especially the dept chair will have dealt with this before. When I asked an attending this very question he said ask sooner rather than later.

Ask now and at least plant the seed. It's such a pain to track down chairs and attendings looking for letters. They do this so much and see so many students that the more fresh the experience, the better it is for you.

my written clerkship evals turned out very strong (ie "far and away one of the best medical students I've ever worked with, including those doing sub-internships").

Nice, bro nice. Thanks for quoting your MSPE for us - we needed that context to give you a thoughtful response to your question.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

I think you want the letter written closer to ERAS opening but it could be a good idea to at least plant the seed in your dept chair's mind. It sounds like he'll be able to write you a great letter after your Sub-i
Uh no he should ask for it now while they still remember him. And waiting "closer till ERAS opens" is a recipe for getting your letter late.

Nice, bro nice. Thanks for quoting your MSPE for us - we needed that context to give you a thoughtful response to your question.

Haha sorry for the humble brag - I posted here right after that eval came out and obviously I was a bit too excited. But I appreciate your input about my question!

Uh no he should ask for it now while they still remember him. And waiting "closer till ERAS opens" is a recipe for getting your letter late.

Perhaps I misread, I was under the impression that the sub-I was going to be with the same attending

If this attending already has a great impression about you, ask for a letter now before he forget the details that can make a letter stronger. Do a sub-I with another attending, so you can get another letter (typically you need 2 letters in the specialty you're applying to).