This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zrobinso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just need some advice regarding letters of recommendation and my extracurricular past.

I am aiming to apply to Osteopathic medical school in 2016 and enter school 2017 and have just begun studying for the MCAT.

- Went to West Point for 2 years where I knocked out my pre-med requirements except biology and GPA was a 3.98 (all A's in science classes)
While here I was in the chemical engineering club and became EMT-B certified (Only in New York). Did several volunteer shifts but was not very consistent volunteering after the certification.

-Had to leave West point for a medical issue and attended Vanderbilt University. Took my biology here and graduated 2014 with a 3.60 GPA (got B+'s in biology). I did very little science extracurricular s outside of a semester of working at a research lab and another semester volunteering with an organization teaching underprivileged kids science.

I've been an IT consultant for a prestigious firm now for a year and a half and have excelled but have done nothing medical related outside of leading a volunteer group with my company at a children's hospital every so often.

I have been out of school for almost 2 years now and don't have the resources I once did as far as shadowing, volunteering etc (most hospitals require a weekly hour dedication I can't meet as I travel for my job).

1. I am concerned about consistent extracurricular's over the past years. I feel they haven't been extremely consistent and perhaps quitting my job to find a more medical related one would be preferable? I'm not sure what job there would be that could pay decently, afford me medical experience, and not require significant training however. Any suggestions? How important is this?

2. I lost touch with my science professors that previously wrote me letters of recommendation (they left the army and their email addresses are no longer valid). Thus I cannot get science letters of rec (as most schools require). I could easily get 6 letters of rec from other professors, employers, and DO's that I have shadowed but that is it. I'm not sure how to proceed, should I take a night class or summer classes to get a LOR in a class I have already taken (this would require quitting my job to find a more local one)? Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks very much everyone

Members don't see this ad.

1. No way would I quit your job if I were you. Cut back your hours if you have to, many here have. Have you tried local clinics? The ones around me do not have hour requirements and are usually short handed since they're volunteer ran. Of course it's better to be consistent, but that's how life falls when you have a career right? How much volunteer hours and shadowing do you actually have right now? If you're really gunning for a 2016 and to DO school, your current stats and a good MCAT might carry you through (don't know your volunteer/shadowing hours yet). However, if you can post-pone for a year and up the your extra-curriculars, that would probably be the best. Medical schools aren't going anywhere.

2. I think this is less of a problem than #1. You're already shown you're a good student, and again, with a good MCAT => golden. They really emphasize science LORs in my state too. I'm actually taking a course this spring for the purpose of a strong letter of rec, vs. great ones from doctors/employers. She's an MD/PHD, years of research, on the pre-med committee, and I aced a 4k level course from her in the past. It's worth it for me. My overall GPA is lowish, but last 60 has been 3.8. That's really the reason why I wanted the science LOR. If I were in your shoes, I would call your #1 school directly and ask how much they'll weigh it. There's a school in my state that explicitly requires 2 science LOR also, but a few posters here who matriculated did not meet that requirement. Alternatively again, if you take a year off, you can probably TA a course and be super buddy-buddy with a science prof.

The bottom is from a LOR compendium/faqs thread.

"But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 non-science, 1 science, a letter from my PI)

The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.
2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?
The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no"."

Since high school (this includes my shifts as an EMT-B and some student volunteering with teaching kids science and at hospitals) I think I only have about 60 hours of volunteer service and about 10 hours of shadowing. I plan to have more of both by the time I complete my application though (aiming for 100+ hours of community service and 20+ hours of shadowing).