LOR Check up/reminder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after my ICU rotation I asked the attending if he would write me a LOR and he agreed (happily it seemed). A week later I went to his office and dropped off my CV and a thank you card.. its been about 3 months now and I havent heard back from him yet. He's a super nice guy and I dont think he hesitated when I asked him for a LOR because I busted my ass that month on ICU....

Whats the best way to check up on a LOR from an attending (to see if its complete, not to read it or anything).. if not completed whats the best way to remind an attending about it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is why I'm going to flat out ask that they sign a pre-written LOR if I really get along with them.

I would think that sending him an email as a friendly reminder wouldn't be offensive, especially if you two got along very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So after my ICU rotation I asked the attending if he would write me a LOR and he agreed (happily it seemed). A week later I went to his office and dropped off my CV and a thank you card.. its been about 3 months now and I havent heard back from him yet. He's a super nice guy and I dont think he hesitated when I asked him for a LOR because I busted my ass that month on ICU....

Whats the best way to check up on a LOR from an attending (to see if its complete, not to read it or anything).. if not completed whats the best way to remind an attending about it?

Thanks

Yeah just an email should work, might want to throw something in there like "Thanks again for..." and attach an electronic copy of your CV. You shouldn't take it personally; intensivists are extremely busy people in the main, and honestly I would have recommended sending monthly reminders instead of nervously waiting for 3 whole months.