LOR Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheaterOfTheme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is late in the game, and I don't know how I missed it. I have 4 possible letters of rec, but all are psych related.

1. My core 3rd year rotation, positive but I believe likely generic, from a director of a hospital
2. Very strong letter from a C&L subI--it speaks to non-psych clinical skills as well
3. Research mentor in psych, I know its very strong (well known individual, but not clinical)
4. My school's program chair for psychiatry, its a personal letter and I'm sure well written, but they are a PsyD

I am now realizing some programs likely prefer to see FM or IM letters as well. I don't know how I missed this. I have just been so set on getting experience in psychiatry I didn't think much of bothering other attendings for letters. The whole COVID thing plays a part because I lost two IM rotations because of it. I'm hoping my C&L letter can help with this. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know you said that you did a C/L subI, but did you do a medicine subI?

I know you said that you did a C/L subI, but did you do a medicine subI?
I pushed that back to the end of the year to do psych SubIs first. So, not yet. I might be able to swing getting an FM letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Crisis averted--my FM attending agreed to write a letter with very short notice. I will likely replace the generic 3rd year letter with it.

Reactions: 5 users
Glad to hear OP got this taken care of. I'd still like to ask some of those currently connected to residency programs like @MacDonaldTriad and @OldPsychDoc how they are looking at situations like this given everything that's gone on with COVID. Is there more leniency occurring this year or have the same pre-requisites still held at the same standard as always?

Yes, I'm quite lucky to have had an excellent FM rotation recently.

Do you all think a personal (non-clinical) letter from my school's chair who is a PsyD is better than the generic letter from the director of a psych hospital I did my core psych rotation at? (I know for a fact the latter uses a template)

Part of me wants to say that I feel fairly lax on firm rules, but the truth is that when faced with close to 1K applicants, not having everything in does tempt one to cut it down to 999. Pandemic or not, it should be easy enough to take care of business and get 3 letters in. Even if some places will be lenient, some will not be. I just went through a dozen emails telling my why they don't have ECFMG yet, or step II scores in yet, or what have you. Two days from now there will be hundreds of people who were faced with the same delays, but managed to get things in on time. It is great to be exceptional, but not in this way.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you all think a personal (non-clinical) letter from my school's chair who is a PsyD is better than the generic letter from the director of a psych hospital I did my core psych rotation at? (I know for a fact the latter uses a template)

Go with the stronger letter from the PsyD.

Reactions: 1 users
I will be applying only with psych letters, too late to change it now anyway. I do have a question, if anyone can answer me. Some programs ask for 3 lors, some ask for 4. Should I check one by one and assign the correct amount of LORs or send 4 to everyone? (I know many people who are sending 4 to every program).