LOR -- did I get totally screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

The Wop

2 of my 5 letter writers are MIA. I gave them all my info in May and told them to have the letter done by June 1. Email them on June 22 asking what's up. No response. Left them both voicemails today. Am I getting totally, absolutely screwed? The one letter writer is writing a ton of letters, I know that. But that's no reason to be a month and a half late. The other guy seems kind of shady, so I have no clue. If just one of those letters pans out, and I already have a committee letter, does that work?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The Wop said:
2 of my 5 letter writers are MIA. I gave them all my info in May and told them to have the letter done by June 1. Email them on June 22 asking what's up. No response. Left them both voicemails today. Am I getting totally, absolutely screwed? The one letter writer is writing a ton of letters, I know that. But that's no reason to be a month and a half late. The other guy seems kind of shady, so I have no clue. If just one of those letters pans out, and I already have a committee letter, does that work?

Thanks

What you should do is check out the websites of the schools you're applying to, and see what their LOR requirements are. A lot of them require just the committee letter, and any additional ones are at your discretion. But just make sure, and keep trying to contact your writers in the meantime.

why do you feel you need three on topof the committee letter? I am just having my committee letter sent in...

Members don't see this ad :)
mlle said:
why do you feel you need three on topof the committee letter? I am just having my committee letter sent in...

I don't know. All the dent/med meetings I went to talked about 5 letters: personal/doctor letter, 2 science letters, 2 letters from other disciplines. That is definitely overkill. We'll see what I actually end up using.

You should look at the schools you are applying to and see what they require. Each asks for letters from different sources so you need to verify that you have what you need for each school.

munch22 said:
You should look at the schools you are applying to and see what they require. Each asks for letters from different sources so you need to verify that you have what you need for each school.

True. I started a thread regarding this a few weeks ago.

I hate to be the mean guy cause I'm not usually, but I always heard that 2 months advance notice was the minimum amount of time you should give a person to write your letter of recommendation. One month just seems really sudden...although if they agreed to do it in a month, they probably should have gotten it done or told you another date they would be done by. But on a happier note, a lot of my letter writers took forever, but they all pulled through in the end for me, so i doubt you're screwed. I think most of these people realize how important the letters are to us, and will come through with the letter even if they didn't respond to your attempts to contact them.

djeffreyt said:
I hate to be the mean guy cause I'm not usually, but I always heard that 2 months advance notice was the minimum amount of time you should give a person to write your letter of recommendation. One month just seems really sudden...although if they agreed to do it in a month, they probably should have gotten it done or told you another date they would be done by. But on a happier note, a lot of my letter writers took forever, but they all pulled through in the end for me, so i doubt you're screwed. I think most of these people realize how important the letters are to us, and will come through with the letter even if they didn't respond to your attempts to contact them.

Agreed. One writer said that it is his responsibility to write letters of recommendations. Keep that in mind when asking for letters, don't be scared, it is really a duty for a science prof to write letters for med and dent school applicants.

Hi,

Are you folks submitting your LOR's to ADSASS or sending them directly to the schools you are applying to? It seems like some schools have different requirements.

newbie2 said:
Hi,

Are you folks submitting your LOR's to ADSASS or sending them directly to the schools you are applying to? It seems like some schools have different requirements.

All my LORs are going to the Health Professions Office at my school. The office is collecting them all then sending them out to the schools I tell them.

newbie2 said:
Hi,

I'm submitting all of mine thru AADSAS. There are some schools that let you send it directly to them, but also some that specifically say to submit it thru AADSAS.

aurora507 said:
I'm submitting all of mine thru AADSAS. There are some schools that let you send it directly to them, but also some that specifically say to submit it thru AADSAS.

Oh, good to know. I guess I'll submit mine though ADSASS as well.
Off the top of your head, any idea which school?

Thanks.

aurora507 said:

Oh, good to know. I guess I'll submit mine though ADSASS as well.
Off the top of your head, any idea which schools?

Thanks.