LOR dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, the letter collecting service allows a max of six recommendations. I have one from a bio prof who taught me, one from a research advisor (Who happens to be a bio prof), one from an anthro prof, one from my advisor (who happens to be a physics prof) and one from the advisor to the volunteer group I chaired. Now... I'm trying to pick between a letter from an EC who I did volunteer work for for about 2 years, and who I know will write me a very strong letter, or from the MD I currently work for, who I've only known for a few months, and I have no idea what kind of a letter he'll write. I'm almost postive the EC has never written a med school rec before (but my school does send them deadlines), at the same time, I don't know if the M.D. has ever written one either.

I was thinking, either way, I could still use both letters, if I send the 7th on my own.

Any suggestions? I know most schools don't want as many as six anyway... which letters will carry the most weight?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think that 5 should be the max. If I were on the adcom, I wouldn't want to even read 5. I'd consider dumping the anthro and probably the MD. They might be good, but you have to limit yourself.

You have a professor, an advisor, research, EC. Maybe just stick to one EC reference, and use only 4?

If you're going to have 5 letters, make sure you get at least 1 MD letter.

I plan on having at least 5 letters, maybe 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
love ur av

i am sticking to 3 - all bio & 1 from a MD

DieselPetrolGrl said:
love ur av

i am sticking to 3 - all bio & 1 from a MD

Sorry, but you need one letter from a non-science professor for most schools.

Some schools, some!

But yeah, you definitely should have a humanities LOR, as well as some from your non medical EC's so you seem well balanced.

It's a very small number of schools that require a non-science letter.

Harvard does. UMich has a strong preference.