LOR dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be applying this cycle and right now, my major application weakness is LORs. I have a problem obtaining even 1 strong LOR from a science professor. I am not a biology major and I am taking my only small upper level biology course this semester (for the LOR). I did take all the premed reqs but there's no way I could get a LOR from those professors even though I got A's since I never spoke to them and the class sizes were ridiculous. I already have 2 superb LORs from volunteer supervisors and a LOR from my major advisor and from writing class professor, so this makes 4 letters. I am debating whether or not to get a fifth LOR from my current upper level bio class. The problem with this is that I have gone to office hours a lot this semester and the professor just doesn't seem like a friendly guy in general. In addition, the class is pretty difficult and I will most likely not be able to get an A. On the other hand, I can get a 5th LOR from a social sciences class professor who knows me very well. However, this would mean I would have 0 LORs from "science" faculty.

Should I go ahead and ask the upper level bio professor for the LOR? Or should I get the LOR from my social sciences professor? Or should I just get both LORs (which would mean I have 6 and that may seem kinda excessive)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm going to be applying this cycle and right now, my major application weakness is LORs. I have a problem obtaining even 1 strong LOR from a science professor. I am not a biology major and I am taking my only small upper level biology course this semester (for the LOR). I did take all the premed reqs but there's no way I could get a LOR from those professors even though I got A's since I never spoke to them and the class sizes were ridiculous. I already have 2 superb LORs from volunteer supervisors and a LOR from my major advisor and from writing class professor, so this makes 4 letters. I am debating whether or not to get a fifth LOR from my current upper level bio class. The problem with this is that I have gone to office hours a lot this semester and the professor just doesn't seem like a friendly guy in general. In addition, the class is pretty difficult and I will most likely not be able to get an A. On the other hand, I can get a 5th LOR from a social sciences class professor who knows me very well. However, this would mean I would have 0 LORs from "science" faculty.

Should I go ahead and ask the upper level bio professor for the LOR? Or should I get the LOR from my social sciences professor? Or should I just get both LORs (which would mean I have 6 and that may seem kinda excessive)?

Check out your prospective school list, odds are that most require a science professor LOR. I'm a non-trad (7 years from my UG) and took a CC class in general chemistry primarily for the benefit of gettin a science prof letter.

I would ask the guy, the worst he can do is say no.

Most schools require 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter as the bare minimum, so at this point you are 2 science letters short.

Members don't see this ad :)
As everyone has mentioned above, you need one or two science letters. Make an effort to get to know this seemingly unapproachable professor, tell him your interest in getting into medical school (after you have developed rapport with him), and then later, ask him for a letter of rec, with the understanding that he doesn't know much about you, but will learn more because you will also send him your personal statement, CV, and tell him more about yourself in the coming weeks. These are the steps everyone has to take to get a letter of rec. It's not easy for some, but it must be done. Good luck!

Look at the MSAR. There are in fact schools that do not require sciences LORs, but have general requirements (like 3 total). In that case, just apply to all those schools and hope for the best.

Look at the MSAR. There are in fact schools that do not require sciences LORs, but have general requirements (like 3 total). In that case, just apply to all those schools and hope for the best.

Considering medical school admissions is pretty much the most ridiculous crapshoot ever, severely limiting one's options due to not having the minimum 2 science LORs that the vast majority of medical schools require is not a smart approach.

Would a letter from a Calculus II professor count as a "science" letter? Calculus II is a BCPM class according to AMCAS.