LOR from a TA but co-signed by the Dean ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawknee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My nuerobiology TA offered to write me an LOR but he is just a PhD graduate school student. So, he said he would get it co-signed by the dean of the school of biological sciences (who is also head of the neuroscience department). Is this a legitimate LOR if it gets co-signed by a professor even though I did not really know this professor? The LOR section on the apps only ask of one name for the evaluator so how can I specify that it is co-signed by a professor?

Members don't see this ad.

nobody has had a similar situation before? any input would help. thanks guys

i heard this was fine, but i cant really comment anymore because i didnt have a co-signed lor.

maybe you can put the graduate students name and co-signed by the professors name all in the evaluators box.

best thing to do is call the schools and/or aadsas and ask them directly if you dont get the answer you want here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked my O-Chem lab prof for a letter that he didn"t really want to write. He ended up telling me to have the lab TA write it and he would add to it. I listed the letter as coming from the professor, although Im sure all he did was co-sign it.

most of my LORs were written by TAs and cosigned by the profs. On AADSAS i just put the profs. names in.

So I should put the professor's name even though he will basically have nothing to do with it, did not write the letter at all, and has never really even met me?