LOR from Big Shot (non-clinical) PI for residency app, how much does it help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sputnik1

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did research between M1 & M2 under a really big-shot PI (highly respected in biotech industry, won the engineering version of the Nobel Prize, has been honored by Obama/Queen Elizabeth/world leaders, his tech is widely used by surgeons/physicians who don't know he's the inventor...). However, no physician I've ever spoken to has ever heard of him, and he's an engineer (not a physician). You're traditionally supposed to get letters from clinicians who've observed you (I have them already), I'm just really wondering how much a LOR from him would help with getting into a good residency?
 
I did research between M1 & M2 under a really big-shot PI (highly respected in biotech industry, won the engineering version of the Nobel Prize, has been honored by Obama/Queen Elizabeth/world leaders, his tech is widely used by surgeons/physicians who don't know he's the inventor...). However, no physician I've ever spoken to has ever heard of him, and he's an engineer (not a physician). You're traditionally supposed to get letters from clinicians who've observed you (I have them already), I'm just really wondering how much a LOR from him would help with getting into a good residency?

not much