LOR from Big Shot (non-clinical) PI for residency app, how much does it help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sputnik1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research between M1 & M2 under a really big-shot PI (highly respected in biotech industry, won the engineering version of the Nobel Prize, has been honored by Obama/Queen Elizabeth/world leaders, his tech is widely used by surgeons/physicians who don't know he's the inventor...). However, no physician I've ever spoken to has ever heard of him, and he's an engineer (not a physician). You're traditionally supposed to get letters from clinicians who've observed you (I have them already), I'm just really wondering how much a LOR from him would help with getting into a good residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I did research between M1 & M2 under a really big-shot PI (highly respected in biotech industry, won the engineering version of the Nobel Prize, has been honored by Obama/Queen Elizabeth/world leaders, his tech is widely used by surgeons/physicians who don't know he's the inventor...). However, no physician I've ever spoken to has ever heard of him, and he's an engineer (not a physician). You're traditionally supposed to get letters from clinicians who've observed you (I have them already), I'm just really wondering how much a LOR from him would help with getting into a good residency?

not much

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it won't help.

1) LORs for residency are supposed to talk about your capabilities and potential as a resident physician. He has no insight into that.

2) By your own admission, no one knows who he is.

3) It would be the residency equivalent of s letter from your congressman or clergy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user