LOR from Med School Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciderbun96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my undergrad school is right next to the medical college and hospital and several of my classes have had med school professors teach us and offered shadowing. How valuable is it to have a LOR from a professor from the medical school you are applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's necessary at all but since you need letters from professors regardless, if they taught you and also spent time with you while you shadowed that would provide more grounds for them to write a letter regarding your application. So I would go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, I didn't mean that it was necessary, I meant how good would it look if you had an LOR from a professor at the med school you were applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the professor writes you positive critical evaluation it will look very good
If the professor writes you something less than glowing, it would look very bad

Its the same in all letters, the quality of the letter with evidence showing that the professor has understanding and insight into your abilities
I always advise applicants to send the AAMC/AMCAS letter writer's guide when requesting an LOR (see attached)

Great advice, thank you!

How much pull does this prof have?

It probably wont make a difference because i'm willing to bet that almost every premed from your school has a rec from a med school prof anyway