LOR from non-medical/non-research boss

Started by Happensinvegas
Tags Tags
lor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Happensinvegas

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if it is worth it to get a LOR from my boss at the steakhouse I work at. I've been working at this steakhouse for 5 years full-time (and 72 hour weeks when not in school) and my boss honestly thinks I'm the best and hardest working employee he's had in 20 years as a manager. I bust my butt at that job and went from being the bus-boy to server, to bartender and to being a member of the team who opened up a new location in another state. The restaurant is a 5 star steak house (think $90 steaks, no sides included). I know this won't speak necessarily to my clinical skills, but it I hope this letter could show just how hard working, dedicated, loyal....and well committed I am to things. I was hoping it could also explain why I haven't had time to do much volunteerism (I need to work to pay tuition) or why I haven't gone on illustrious 5 week long medical trips to Costa Rica.

What do you all think. Would a letter from my boss actually help me in the way I think it will and would it be a good letter to provide?
 
I was wondering if it is worth it to get a LOR from my boss at the steakhouse I work at. I've been working at this steakhouse for 5 years full-time (and 72 hour weeks when not in school) and my boss honestly thinks I'm the best and hardest working employee he's had in 20 years as a manager. I bust my butt at that job and went from being the bus-boy to server, to bartender and to being a member of the team who opened up a new location in another state. The restaurant is a 5 star steak house (think $90 steaks, no sides included). I know this won't speak necessarily to my clinical skills, but it I hope this letter could show just how hard working, dedicated, loyal....and well committed I am to things. I was hoping it could also explain why I haven't had time to do much volunteerism (I need to work to pay tuition) or why I haven't gone on illustrious 5 week long medical trips to Costa Rica.

What do you all think. Would a letter from my boss actually help me in the way I think it will and would it be a good letter to provide?

Yes definitely use this letter, though not in replacement of a good clinical letter if you have that (use both if possible), but it will definitely demonstrate your strong commitment, work ethic, maturity, leadership, teamwork, and everything else you want a hardworking adult.