LOR from science faculty requirment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, I did an independent study (1 credit hour) with a neurologist (MD) and the class fell under my major AND I did my honors thesis for credit (4 credit) with a different doctor (MD/PhD) which also fell under my major. if I get LORS from these two doctors will these fulfill my science LOR requirement? or does the science LORs have to come from hardcore science classes like bio, orgo, etc? i will also be getting a LOR from my gen chem teacher but most med schools want 2-3 LORs from the sciences

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it will work with many medical schools. But I think that there are a few (Virginia?) where you have to had taken an academic class under the LOR writer.

I had an LOR written by a medical school professor (MD/MPH) who mentored my independent undergrad biology research for credit. As long as the doc is faculty at the school in any department and assigned you a grade for a course in the science curriculum, you should be just fine. I received no grief from using his LOR to meet the requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
thannks for the help..anyone else with any input on this?!?

my letters didnt exactly meet the requirements, so i called around and asked the admission offices, and nobody had a problem with it. they are flexible.

Unless its Jefferson, they want one in Physics, Biology, chemistry, and another course

Whats your major Paki?? I think it should count as a science if your major is one of the sciences, but you should call one of the schools to find out for certain.

Whats your major Paki?? I think it should count as a science if your major is one of the sciences, but you should call one of the schools to find out for certain.

my major is neuroscience...yeah that's a good idea i think thats the best way to get a definite answer

thanks everyone for the good advice