LOR from Science professor. Can it be from a professor who does not teach undegrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I notice most schools require at least one LOR from science professor for admission. Can the LOR from science professor who I have worked with instead of someone who taught me?

A dental professor hired me to work in her oral health lab for a year as a lab assitant. I know her personally very well as oppose to other science professors who I have taken courses with.

I would like to ask her to write me a LOR. But would her letter categorized under LOR from science professor even though she didn't teach me and she teachs dental student only?

thank!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know. although her letter would probably serve you well, I think they want you to specifically get letters from professors who taught you as well. not sure tho. I have one from my PI and a couple from professors I've taken classes with.

mlle said:
i don't know. although her letter would probably serve you well, I think they want you to specifically get letters from professors who taught you as well. not sure tho. I have one from my PI and a couple from professors I've taken classes with.

Some schools specifically require that the letters be from professors who have TAUGHT you in a lecture style course. Check each of the school's sites for which you are applying to see what's up. Of course your letter is still good to have in your app, but just might not satisfy the requirements.