LOR from your own Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jo61498

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you feel about asking for a LOR from the dentist whom you go to personally? Is this considered strange, or someone in the "family/friends/relatives" taboo category?

I think my dentist would be able to write me a good one, and the other dentist that I shadowed for a whole summer can't write me one for a personal issue.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed/observed my personal dentist, so I had no problem asking for an LOR. I don't see where the "conflict" would come into play. You want someone who knows your character, ambitions, etc...If it's your personal dentist, then so be it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be a bit odd, I say that you should just bother the person that you shadowed for one. My LoR was very simple, It just said that i observed for X hours and viewed all aspects of general practice dentistry. I don't even think it said that i should be a dentist.

Besides what would a letter from your dentist say if you never observed them.

"To whom it may concern, As the dentist of jo61498 I can honestly say that i have never seen a better set of teeth. During the 30 minutes a year i spent with him/her, i feel that he/she would make an excellent dentist who is very knowledgeable in the art of opening their mouth wide ....." ???:laugh:

Another thing of note, there are bound to be people that embellish details on their application. If you get a LoR from a different dentist then your app might seem a little weird to admissions and they might question if you actually shadowed.

It might be a bit odd, I say that you should just bother the person that you shadowed for one. My LoR was very simple, It just said that i observed for X hours and viewed all aspects of general practice dentistry. I don't even think it said that i should be a dentist.

Besides what would a letter from your dentist say if you never observed them.

"To whom it may concern, As the dentist of jo61498 I can honestly say that i have never seen a better set of teeth. During the 30 minutes a year i spent with him/her, i feel that he/she would make an excellent dentist who is very knowledgeable in the art of opening their mouth wide ....." ???:laugh:

Another thing of note, there are bound to be people that embellish details on their application. If you get a LoR from a different dentist then your app might seem a little weird to admissions and they might question if you actually shadowed.