1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

LOR from your own Dentist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jo61498, Feb 21, 2007.

1. jo61498

Pre-Dental
    What do you feel about asking for a LOR from the dentist whom you go to personally? Is this considered strange, or someone in the "family/friends/relatives" taboo category?

I think my dentist would be able to write me a good one, and the other dentist that I shadowed for a whole summer can't write me one for a personal issue.

What do you all think?

2. Joe70h8

Joe70h8 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I shadowed/observed my personal dentist, so I had no problem asking for an LOR. I don't see where the "conflict" would come into play. You want someone who knows your character, ambitions, etc...If it's your personal dentist, then so be it.

3. kjheller

kjheller MGOBLUE
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    same for me

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Golddanboy

Golddanboy Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It might be a bit odd, I say that you should just bother the person that you shadowed for one. My LoR was very simple, It just said that i observed for X hours and viewed all aspects of general practice dentistry. I don't even think it said that i should be a dentist.

Besides what would a letter from your dentist say if you never observed them.

"To whom it may concern, As the dentist of jo61498 I can honestly say that i have never seen a better set of teeth. During the 30 minutes a year i spent with him/her, i feel that he/she would make an excellent dentist who is very knowledgeable in the art of opening their mouth wide ....." ???:laugh:

Another thing of note, there are bound to be people that embellish details on their application. If you get a LoR from a different dentist then your app might seem a little weird to admissions and they might question if you actually shadowed.

5. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...