LOR Gifts???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megswinter82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I am pretty much done requesting LORs I was wondering if it is appropriate to send them a thank you gift? If so what kind of gift should i give? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I sent home made cookies to my out of state LORs. And my current supervisor (that also wrote me a letter) is from India, and likes these particular Indian cashues, so I got her those. I think as long as it's more of a gesture (ie not very expensive or elaborate) anything is appropriate. It really is the thought that counts on this one. I've heard some people talking about $25 gift certificates and stuff, but I think that's a little overboard. I know my LORs would be really embarrassed if I got them something that expensive.

I sent those that wrote me LOR's a box of choc. after getting into med school along with a thank you card telling them where I was going.

Members don't see this ad :)
indebt said:
I sent those that wrote me LOR's a box of choc. after getting into med school along with a thank you card telling them where I was going.
Wow, I just sent handwritten thankyou notes on nice informal cards. I feel inadequate now. :laugh:
I'll probably be feeling really generous if I get in, though.

I just sent Thank You Cards as well. Maybe, I'll send a small gift IF I get in...ha ha! I've been informing them of my progress, and they seem very grateful

Sent a Thank You card to one and a bottle of his favorite scotch, one a bottle of Jack Daniels, and one a big street sign that says Jimmy Buffett Blvd (he's a huge JB fan, we listen to it all the time in the OR). All of these guys were people that not only wrote me a letter, but also did mock interviews with me, and have let me shadow them throughout college. All were very appreciative. I think they like to know that they have helped, they all remember what it was like to be in your spot. ;)

P.S. - Talk to their nurse's they always have good gift ideas.

Any thoughts on the thank you cards themselves? Regular Hallmark sized cards, or full page? Formal or Informal?

I gave my Family Physician (DO) a thank you card, and a box of chocolate. His office staff were really appreciated the fact that I remembered them. And of course, my DO thought is was very nice of me to send the chocololate box for the whole office and the thank you card for him.

Afterbeing accepted, I brought a box of Godiva truffles and a thank you card to the DO I shadowed and my three proffessors. They all loved it and thought it was very thoughtful.

megswinter82 said:
Now that I am pretty much done requesting LORs I was wondering if it is appropriate to send them a thank you gift? If so what kind of gift should i give? Thanks :)

Thank you letters are nice. I gave those that wrote me LORs a creative thank you card..A few wrote me back and actually told me what they said about me! This was sooo nice to hear and so unexpected! Giving other things depends on how long and in what context you know them. For instance, giving a box of choc. to a family physician you've known since you were 4 yrs old is cool but giving the same box of choc to a physician you shadowed for a couple of days could put you in an awkward position depending upon the physician's personality of course. my 2 cents :)