LoR Prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

question#abillion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to the site, so if this is the wrong please to put this let me know.

I am applying next cycle, and just received a stellar recommendation from a professor at HMS; I did research in his lab for 2 years, and was published.

Does the prestige of both HMS and it being a LoR from a medical school professor garner me any additional advantages besides being a great LoR?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know. But I tend to think the level on which the person who wrote the letter can speak to your character (i.e. how well they know you) is more important that their title. Basically, I wouldn't hedge my bets based on their title. I had a "lowly" nurse write one for me, and it did the trick because she knew me well.

It's fine, no one will really care tho. This is coming from someone who had three HMS faculty LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
New to the site, so if this is the wrong please to put this let me know.

I am applying next cycle, and just received a stellar recommendation from a professor at HMS; I did research in his lab for 2 years, and was published.

Does the prestige of both HMS and it being a LoR from a medical school professor garner me any additional advantages besides being a great LoR?

This LOR can carry a lot of weight not because the professor is from HMS but because to get to HMS one has probably impacted their field strongly and thus probably has numerous contacts and colleagues at other MD institutions. Will it suddenly get you an acceptance? No. You still have to run through the gauntlet. But it will speak for itself if the rest of the process (secondary and interview) goes well and if they perceive the same strengths in person as the LOR writer spoke about.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
This LOR can carry a lot of weight not because the professor is from HMS but because to get to HMS one has probably impacted their field strongly and thus probably has numerous contacts and colleagues at other MD institutions. Will it suddenly get you an acceptance? No. You still have to run through the gauntlet. But it will speak for itself if the rest of the process (secondary and interview) goes well and if they perceive the same strengths in person as the LOR writer spoke about.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1