LOR process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Talula21

Welcome to the Program
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been threads about this before, but I did a search and couldn't find this specific question answered (so...I'm sorry if this is a repeat). I will be applying in June 2005. I already know who I plan on asking for the LORs (a DO, MD and professor), but what is the process/etiquette? Do I give them envelopes (addressed and stamped) to send out once they are done? Or do I use a service like interfolo.com? If I use the service, is it user-friendly enough that I am not asking my writters to spend 2 days just figuring out how to submit their letter? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the schools I've applied to specifically say they want the letters sent directly from the writer, preferrable typed on letterhead and in a letterhead envelope (some even want signatures across the back to prove it hasn't been opened). So I've just been emailing my LOR's as the secondaries come in, with the address and any directions, and they've been sending them. Granted I'm out of state for most of my LOR's. I have been sending my current supervisor's letters, but only after she's set everything up. I just put a stamp on it and mail it, to save her the postage. Anyway, I guess everyone has a different way, but that's how I'm handling it. Good luck next year!

Talula21 said:
I'm sure there have been threads about this before, but I did a search and couldn't find this specific question answered (so...I'm sorry if this is a repeat). I will be applying in June 2005. I already know who I plan on asking for the LORs (a DO, MD and professor), but what is the process/etiquette? Do I give them envelopes (addressed and stamped) to send out once they are done? Or do I use a service like interfolo.com? If I use the service, is it user-friendly enough that I am not asking my writters to spend 2 days just figuring out how to submit their letter? Thanks for the help.
It really depends on how well you know your referees? If it's someone you know very well, you might want to make a suggestion and ask if they could send them out via their department since they would not have to pay for postage and neither would you. Postage really adds up when you apply to a lot of schools. If you don't know them well enough to ask ... then it's common courtesy to provide envelopes that are addressed and stamped.

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
typically for undergraduate or graduate faculty letters, like your science professors, i think most schools prefer to get your undgergrad/grad pre-med committee compilation of letters or composite letter. my school just doesn't write a cover letter, but puts all your letters together neatly and sends them out for me to any schools i want.

for a medical professional however, a DO, MD etc. most schools prefer that those letters are on the doc's own letterhead.

whatever the case may be, schools definitely prefer that you're not actually seeing the letters copying and compiling them and mailing them off your self.

My profs said they like sending envelops from the school (fancy-looking and all) so I gave each a folder with my CV, transcript, a cover letter, mailing labels, and stamps. They seemed to like the mailing labels.