Lor Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what type of a LOR is considered excellent? I know all letters are going to be good....but what special things must be present in the letter to make it unique?

Any idea???

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best ones are the ones that stand out. The more generic comments, the less it really says about you. If the letter gives examples, uses superlatives, tells stories, that's way better than, "Did very well on rotation."

Is it true that some internal medicine residency programs require that we give them a medicine chair's letter from our medicine rotation? I just heard this from a group of friends. It this is true, then I am worried, b/c I have a letter from an attending where I did my medicine rotation but I don't have any letter from a chair.

Unfortunately it is true and I had to get one form my Chair of IM @ my school. I have never even talked to him and I had to ask him for one. But he wrote it and it is kind of generic but you gotta get one for some schools so what can you do? I only need it for UCDavis and all the other programs I am applying for don't require it so I won't use it for those.