LOR Question (switched from applying IM to DR)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions here. In the early part of the year I was convinced I wanted to do internal medicine. I received LORs from a FM preceptor & an IM preceptor at the time that have already been written & submitted to ERAS. Wondering if it would be appropriate to reach out & let them know I have changed from IM to DR & asking if the letters they wrote were non-specific or if they were specific to primary care/internal medicine? I think the IM letter would be good to have for DR - & I think it's a strong one - so I'd especially like to use that one if I can.

Would be a bad idea or disrespectful reach out to ask? I can replace both letters if needed, but they'd be replaced with letters from Peds & Psych (both strong); not sure if they would be good to use these for rads (or if it matters at all what specialty the non-rads letters are from when applying?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, since no one's answered in about a week, I'll give it a shot.

First of all I'm assuming you have at least 1 radiology LOR?

I think letters that talk about how you would be a great IM resident would not look great to radiology programs. It would be one thing to talk about how you did a great job on IM and will be a great IM intern, but also a good radiologist, versus having a letter that doesn't mention radiology at all.

So my advice would be:
- ask your FM and IM people if they'd be willing to edit and re-submit their letter now with your future radiology career in mind
- if they say yes, then great (I do think an IM letter would be good overall)
- if they say no for whatever reason, then use your other letters, again, as long as they talk about you going into radiology

I would ask a radiology faculty member/advisor at your school if certain non-rads letters carry more weight (I am assuming IM is one that would), but I'm not sure in terms of FM vs peds vs psych. I think having a strong letter usually matters more than the specialty, though.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I think an IM letter isn’t a bad thing in an app? I think it can show your personable with patients and would fit in with other residents? I personally wouldn’t ask. Seems like a leap, idk tho. Just me.

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it @Oso & @JibsGuy52

I think I will reach out to someone at my school to see what they think first. & I agree I don't feel super comfortable doing it @JibsGuy52