LOR Question (switched from applying IM to DR)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just looking for opinions here. In the early part of the year I was convinced I wanted to do internal medicine. I received LORs from a FM preceptor & an IM preceptor at the time that have already been written & submitted to ERAS. Wondering if it would be appropriate to reach out & let them know I have changed from IM to DR & asking if the letters they wrote were non-specific or if they were specific to primary care/internal medicine? I think the IM letter would be good to have for DR - & I think it's a strong one - so I'd especially like to use that one if I can.

Would be a bad idea or disrespectful reach out to ask? I can replace both letters if needed, but they'd be replaced with letters from Peds & Psych (both strong); not sure if they would be good to use these for rads (or if it matters at all what specialty the non-rads letters are from when applying?)
 
Last edited:
Well, since no one's answered in about a week, I'll give it a shot.

First of all I'm assuming you have at least 1 radiology LOR?

I think letters that talk about how you would be a great IM resident would not look great to radiology programs. It would be one thing to talk about how you did a great job on IM and will be a great IM intern, but also a good radiologist, versus having a letter that doesn't mention radiology at all.

So my advice would be:
- ask your FM and IM people if they'd be willing to edit and re-submit their letter now with your future radiology career in mind
- if they say yes, then great (I do think an IM letter would be good overall)
- if they say no for whatever reason, then use your other letters, again, as long as they talk about you going into radiology

I would ask a radiology faculty member/advisor at your school if certain non-rads letters carry more weight (I am assuming IM is one that would), but I'm not sure in terms of FM vs peds vs psych. I think having a strong letter usually matters more than the specialty, though.

Best of luck.
 
I think an IM letter isn’t a bad thing in an app? I think it can show your personable with patients and would fit in with other residents? I personally wouldn’t ask. Seems like a leap, idk tho. Just me.
 
Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it @Oso & @JibsGuy52

I think I will reach out to someone at my school to see what they think first. & I agree I don't feel super comfortable doing it @JibsGuy52