LOR Question: Should I ask one of my LOR writers to only talk about classroom interaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aevan004

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in a bit of a predicament. In three of my science classes, I have ended up doing research in some capacity with them. When I get to know the profs, I have some weird compulsion to get involved in their research and I'm trying to prevent that from coming back to bite me.

Prof 1: Biochemistry Professor I had in the summer. Ended up doing independent study research in bioenergetics for credit. Never publsihed. He has already submitted his LOR for me, and he wrote about both my performance in biochem and independent study.

Prof 2: I took both courses of organic with him and an Advanced organic lab II with him. I ended up getting a chemistry award from this prof, so I kinda felt obligated to continue my project I started in advanced lab. Not published yet, and low potential before June 1.

Prof 3: I have ongoing biology research here (2+ years). One poster presentation, and paper in the works. I have also taken a class with her, and am currently in an independent study class now.

Prof 2 and 3 will write the letter either way, but I am not sure if they both talk about research it will look like I don't have a classic "science" LOR. I am also curious if adcoms will see some kind of conflict of interest here. Any advice would be of great help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A LOR that just tells us "aevan was a very good student" doesn't help us.

You need to ask each potential LOR writer "Dr X,do you know m,e well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?"

A LOR that just tells us "aevan was a very good student" doesn't help us.

You need to ask each potential LOR writer "Dr X,do you know m,e well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?"

Hi Goro,

I have worked diligently with each letter writer and each can speak on my capacity to be a doctor. So I was wondering if I should have one speak more about my efforts in the lab, and the other efforts in the classroom. The alternative would be both letter writers talking about my efforts in class and lab. I am well established with both of them and have continuing meaningful relationships with both. Thanks for your response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Goro,

I have worked diligently with each letter writer and each can speak on my capacity to be a doctor. So I was wondering if I should have one speak more about my efforts in the lab, and the other efforts in the classroom. The alternative would be both letter writers talking about my efforts in class and lab. I am well established with both of them and have continuing meaningful relationships with both. Thanks for your response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMCAS has a LOR writer's guide. Suggest giving it to each one of your mentors.

Reactions: 1 user