LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I NEED 3 Letters or Recommendation when applying to DO schools, or can I use a premed committee letter that represents 3 advisors? Having trouble getting a 2nd science rec since all of the sciences classes at my university are 200-300 people classes...ughhh (any advice on getting a rec in that situation btw?)

thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Do I NEED 3 Letters or Recommendation when applying to DO schools, or can I use a premed committee letter that represents 3 advisors? Having trouble getting a 2nd science rec since all of the sciences classes at my university are 200-300 people classes...ughhh (any advice on getting a rec in that situation btw?)

thanks for the help!

I think it really depends on the school. As for the second science lor, have you considered talking to your recitation ta, and asking if (s)he can co-write the letter with the professor? That might be an option. gl

hmmm, do graduate TA's (that basically run the course, but not officially) count as a "LOR from an Academic faculty member"?

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm, do graduate TA's (that basically run the course, but not officially) count as a "LOR from an Academic faculty member"?

I don't think so... If it is, I would imagine it is frowned upon by adcoms... that is why I recommended co-writing w/ the professor.

I don't think so... If it is, I would imagine it is frowned upon by adcoms... that is why I recommended co-writing w/ the professor.

gotcha, thanks for the help!

I was in kind of the same circumstance. All of the professors I am familiar with were in Geology which is not considered a science and DMU specifically required LORS from basic science professors. I only came back and took ~3 pre-med courses and the rest were all done about 10 years ago. I ended up getting LORs from both my Genetics professor and the Organic II lab head. Both of them went back and discussed with my TAs and actually quoted, from what I was told, the TAs in the LORs. Basically all my professors could say is that I got an A so they needed the extra help. However, each professor kind of interviewed me for about an hour also in order to feel comfortable writing the letter. I think I am pretty good at putting on a puppy dog face and I think it helped a little so I would recommend that too. :laugh:

I was in kind of the same circumstance. All of the professors I am familiar with were in Geology which is not considered a science and DMU specifically required LORS from basic science professors. I only came back and took ~3 pre-med courses and the rest were all done about 10 years ago. I ended up getting LORs from both my Genetics professor and the Organic II lab head. Both of them went back and discussed with my TAs and actually quoted, from what I was told, the TAs in the LORs. Basically all my professors could say is that I got an A so they needed the extra help. However, each professor kind of interviewed me for about an hour also in order to feel comfortable writing the letter. I think I am pretty good at putting on a puppy dog face and I think it helped a little so I would recommend that too. :laugh:

haha, excellent. Did you email the profs or just go to their office and flat out ask them? I feel SO awkward going up to a prof who I've never really talked to, although I did fairly well in their class, in order to ask for a LOR. any pointers on this? Is this even normal??

haha, excellent. Did you email the profs or just go to their office and flat out ask them? I feel SO awkward going up to a prof who I've never really talked to, although I did fairly well in their class, in order to ask for a LOR. any pointers on this? Is this even normal??

I feel the same way and I'm going to have to ask this week! I've only had these profs for one quarter so it is even stranger. so any suggestions are appreciated, this is a very helpful thread,

Well, I went and found them. I left work everyday for a week trying to actually find my Genetics professor. I am not really sure how normal it is to ask a professor you don't really know but if it's your only option, what choice do you have. I also had my boss/advisor write a letter as well as an Anthropology professor from undergrad who I was really close to in addition to the DO letter. I needed the basic science letters though, so I made sure I got them.

Well, I went and found them. I left work everyday for a week trying to actually find my Genetics professor. I am not really sure how normal it is to ask a professor you don't really know but if it's your only option, what choice do you have. I also had my boss/advisor write a letter as well as an Anthropology professor from undergrad who I was really close to in addition to the DO letter. I needed the basic science letters though, so I made sure I got them.

yeah, I only have the science LORs left to get. Even have my DO letter (i think!). Thanks for any more advice you guys/girls have!

I forgot to mention...

I got a lor from my genetics professor (which was a huge class), who was not liked by the students. I never introduced myself to him but did very well in his course and went to weekly help sessions he held (averages were very low on exams).

I needed a lor, so I emailed him and basically asked if I could meet with him to discuss a lor... I mentioned that "You may not know me, but you would recognize me from the weekly help sessions..." I met with him and he turned out to be a nice guy. So if you ask a lot of questions in lecture or have some reason that one of your profs will recognize you... you can try to email them.

Thanks guys you all have given me the confidence to get this done!